MoneySaving Poll: Would you cancel Christmas?

Options
Poll started 1 December 2015

Would you cancel Christmas?

It's nearly here. For some it conjures a picture of smiling children, fun, family and festive frivolity; for others it means stress, present pressure, debts and chores.

So if you had a big red CANCEL CHRISTMAS button that'd make the whole thing disappear (and just add the days to your holiday entitlement), would you press it?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I would t cancel Christmas but I would take it back to a more simple celebration and get rid of the excesses.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Definitely not. It is a religious festival. Would you run a similar poll about cancelling Eid/Hannukah/Divali/etc?

Would be nice for it to not so commercial though.
    Zebras rock
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isn't this almost the same question about whether you liked Christmas or not ?
    The ones who weren't really looking forward to it are probably going to be the same ones to press the 'red button' this time.
    I think it would be better moving to the Summer when the shops & pubs aren't as crowded and it's easier to get a taxi home 'cos they're not as busy.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i used to love xmas. but now the whole thing is just way out of hand.

it starts at the end of september and by the middle of october you're already fed up of it.

i wouldn't cancel xmas outright. but what there should be is a ban on xmas until december 1st.
  • karengi
    karengi Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking at the results so far it definitely seems that men are more up for cancelling Christmas in general that women for some reason!
    Karen

New Comper :D
    First win - A creme egg beachball!
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, dont cancel Christmas. It's no good in summer either. The winter months are long, dark and gloomy. Christmas brings some light, sparkle and fun to this harsh season. There would be more unhappy people without it.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I can't answer this one as I'm not included? Mum with grown up kids who still live at home
  • RickRastardly
    Options
    If we cancelled Christmas then we have to cancel every other religious festival as well with no public/bank holiday entitlement either. Now we live in a bland world where the entire year is the same, just the seasons change.

Joy.
  • Beauborg
    Beauborg Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with some of Dastep's views, but I feel I must make a correction on one part of his/her post:

Having read the Bible cover-to-cover several times I can confirm that nowhere does Jesus claim to be the Creator or God. In fact he stated in John 14:28: "the Father is greater than I," and in John 20:17 "I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God."

But Dastep is absolutely right that there's no salvation in anyone else but Jesus. He was truly the 'Messiah' or 'Christ' - the one anointed by God.
  • Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    Why pick on Christmas, why not just religion in general? The poll seems to have it's own agenda.

Christmas is a festival that is pre-biblical being a mid-winter festival long before Christianity, and the timing simply hijacks an old festival, in fact it's more likely to have been around late summer. (Shepard's in Judea did not tend flocks in December.)

I think the question should have been worded as would you like the commercial aspects of Christmas to be cancelled, otherwise it borders on discriminatory as someone else pointed out on here would Martin asked the same question of Pesach?
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure