PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• alec_eiffel
    Options
    My home is a mess!

I've been doing a lot of sewing and there's fabric everywhere, which means there's lots of other things everywhere too! I'll be dealing with that... later!

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm here reading - not been around for a while.

My home is a mess but I'm learning to live with it. Moved back from 4 bed semi to old 2 bed terrace (DS2 had been renting it) 5 weeks ago and had total hip replacement surgery 4 weeks ago so am on crutches, not allowed to bend forward or down, twist or turn ( in case the new joint 'pops out' before all the flesh has healed properly to hold it in place). So can't mop or use the oven (did a little yesterday but took nearly as long working out how to do it as it did to cook).

Also suffering from one of the bugs going round (coughing, sneezing, sore throat - Ds3 said I sound like 'Yoda dying') but am grateful it's not the sick bug.

It was a relief to finally get a diagnosis (although a shock too - burst into tears several times) after months of resting and physiotherapy. Was referred for surgical consult. From that point on things moved fairly quickly - went to education day having been told the waiting list was 2- 3 months and told they had me penciled in for 2 weeks later.

Cue rather hasty move (had wanted the house up for sale last March but as my problems increased progress slowed) but much better to be in the little house. Bills etc will be much lower (and old house is on pay for what you use) but last month was very expensive and various suppliers still haven't sorted things (I should be getting lots of little bits of money back in the next 2 months).

I am de-cluttering - as I empty a cardboard box it gets ripped up so there is nowhere for the clutter to go and I tidied the other day by walking round with my grabber stick.

However I see my main task at the moment is to follow all the rules to make a good recovery so I do what I can and try to ignore the things I can't do anything about (today's job is sorting screws etc into different sizes and slotting into plastic drawers - boring but soothing). Were so many jobs needing doing at the other house that drawers of screws/ drill bits were anywhere near where the tasks were (window sills and ledges / flat surfaces and eventually the floor). Now they all need putting in order so that they take up minimum room.

Also as there is less storage space here - 4 of the cupboards bought for here which never got attached to walls got incorporated in the 'new to me' kitchen at the other house - I am putting aside any 'S' hooks, cup hooks and shelf supports (we used to have three floor to ceiling sets of shelves but these are the remnants from 30 years of use) to make more useful space in the kitchen (because I can't bend down most of the cupboards can't be used for regular stuff).

I have a check up on the 29th December (the dreaded elastic stockings can come off after that) but it not sure about the six weeks after that - may go down to using one crutch, so will have a new set of re-balancing skills to learn. Come mid- Feb I should be better than before the op (already a great deal less painful - I was walking around with two raw ends of bone scraping against one another) and from then on should continue to improve. At least I finally know it wasn't just me being lazy or useless (we do punish ourselves don't we).

Anyway it is good to hear from you all and I hope you all have a good Christmas, however you choose to celebrate (or not). I have a drawer full of goodies (cooked the turkey the weekend before I went in hospital) and will be keeping warm, reading, listening to music and enjoying my solitude - Ds3 is going to his gf's family but DS2 is going to come and fill my water bottles (I can only carry little things so have several 2l bottles by my bed and by the cooker to fill the kettle/ cook soup) and tie my shoelaces (can't get downstairs to have warm food without them).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    HI Messies!

Alec E , sewing stuff & 3 dolls in progress causing untidy look here too!

Mothernerd, I`m so glad you`ve had your op and are doing the sensible thing - staying within your limits while you heal.
    I bet you`re looking forward to losing the elastic socks though, horrible things!

Chez Emm -
    I`ve got a few bits of running about done out of the way, and a bit of freezer tetris and a couple of boxes of books out to CS, so until I have to start on tonight`s meal now have a bit of time to get on with the doll-making.
    As Alec E says, bits of fabric everywhere (even rather small bits!) does have a knock-on effect, so getting on with the sewing will make sense, the sooner it`s completed the sooner I can have a proper tidy!
    I have shaken the LR wooly rugs outside - but with this wind I came inside wearing most of the carp I shook off them!
    Henry`d very briefly round edges of LR & kitchen floor, and I have done 2 WM loads, dried & put away.
    I still have tomorrow off, and will cook ahead for weekend suppers.
    Now that I`ve listed things I feel a lot more positive....
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All,:hello:

been MIA as changed jobs and my SAD is really biting this year. but subscribed to the thread to keep up with you all.
    the school job wasn't really working out (hardly any money for full time work and whilst the thoght of 13 weeks (unpaid) off is a nice idea, I realised that there are a miriad of days I need to take off for assorted school stuff my children do and after the first 'I'd like this day off for my son's harvest festival please' conversation didn't go quite as planned I started looking for another job ASAP.
    So I'm back in the lab, testing flavours for now. temp job til end of feb when they switch to (impossible) shifts 6am til 2pm one week then 1pm til 9pm the following week! no childcare available for me to cover those hours so I've politely declined unless they can offer me permanent 6 til 2 as that's got the most workable childcare solution, but they can't offer that shift as that's the one that ALL the mummies want.
    House isn't THAT bad but I think that's because I'm getting up in the dark and coming home in the dark so I can't see the dust buffalos!
    Tree is up and lights are on it (HWTHMBO put it up on his day off Thursday), decorations are available but boys don't seem that bothered. IMHO the tree looks fine as it is.

If I don't get on here before the big day I wish all of you

:xmassign:
    and a better year next year.
    With love and stuff
    FA & family. xxxxx
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Hi Messies!

FA, it`s lovely to hear from you. Been very quiet here lately, but hardly surprising as even Unmessy folk are extra busy with stuff this time of year. I agree about the tree, too (though I`ve not seen yours) I`m going to keep ours simple too.

I now have days off till Christmas day (working 12 hours then) so today I started by Shining My Sink. Then a quick tidy round downstairs, WM load of uniforms & WM load of towels.

Next, had a coffee break with a good slug of Bailey`s!!!

Now in the mood, I`m going out to Caravan of Doom to get the tree and when that is up I`ll get some pressies wrapped - especially DGD`s before she arrives this evening and starts snooping! She`s here till Christmas morning, her mum is collecting her early, so we`ll do our `Christmas` here on Christmas Eve.
    Still loads to do, but at least I`m feeling a bit more chilled about it - might have another special coffee break if it wears off!

Hope everyone`s getting on ok, and not getting trampled in the shops! x
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just emerging from the worst of a cold. The house isn't too bad, it will be fine when I've packed my craft stuff away, just leaving out the stuff I'm actually using!

We went to the town today to buy a few things, and to the out of town retail park to get a new laptop. It was quiet, loads of staff, no customers, got everything we wanted really quickly. It's been like that everywhere this year. I keep reading that people are spending loads and everywhere is packed, but it's not the case here. I feel sorry for the local shopkeepers.

I'm sure I'll be back beforehand but enjoy the festivities if you're having them, if not then I wish you happy times anyway!
  • serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    Options
    I've been lurking for a few weeks, after a mammoth reading of the whole thread.

Just wanted to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year!:xmassign:
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Messies, lovely to see all the familiar folks still posting! Sorry I've been absent, but my home is still a Mess with a capital M! I pushed a few things into neater piles and hoovered, and I'm content with that!

Just got back from family visits and planning a lovely day cuddled up with the cat tomorrow... then starting on an exercise improvement mission.

I've rejoined Slimming World as I'm now in danger of being wider than I am tall. These few days are a write-off, of course, but joining at this time of year does help to keep me focused on damage limitation rather than letting it go on and on and on, as I would usually do.

I hope your shift went well (or is going well) today Emm - happy Christmas to you, and to all our fellow messies!
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    As this thread is now really, really long, would it be an idea to have part 2 - maybe starting 1st Jan? - may re-focus some people and perhaps entice some new people (some find long threads hard to jump into) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, messies!

Hope everyone had a good day. Not to busy in the ward for you, Emm. No point in any housework today.

I'm still lounging around in dressing gown, as it's not worth getting dressed then chsnged. Off to sister's place later. I'm driving, :(
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure