help please - 6 year cut off

Good afternoon,

I tried a few times to claim back fees from old accounts - they were declined but I decided to have one last go.

sent a letter regarding fees on an old Lloyds account in two parts - the product fees and the overdraft charges.

Had a call from Lloyds to say they were paying back the product fees from an account closed in 2010 - all paid not a bother.

however they are now stating they will not look at the overdraft fees as they are over 6 years.

do I have a leg to stand on or should I take it as too late?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    do I have a leg to stand on or should I take it as too late?

You have no leg to stand on. There is no 6 year rule here unless they were applying it to the product charges but you say they refunded those. (the 3/6 year rule can be applied to close accounts using the date of closure as the trigger - but they chose not to for some reason).

The banks won the charges case in 2009. Since then they only consider current financial hardship cases and that is on a goodwill basis. You are not a current customer and haven't been for 7 years. So, you would never meet their current financial hardship criteria assuming you are even in financial hardship today.

Maybe they pressed the wrong button on the response or maybe they felt it was easier to use that response as it was over 6 years ago we wont know even if there was no 6-year rule to apply. However, the bottom line is that you have no rights to any refund of overdraft charges.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jadebee
    jadebee Posts: 174 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You have no leg to stand on. There is no 6 year rule here unless they were applying it to the product charges but you say they refunded those. (the 3/6 year rule can be applied to close accounts using the date of closure as the trigger - but they chose not to for some reason).

The banks won the charges case in 2009. Since then they only consider current financial hardship cases and that is on a goodwill basis. You are not a current customer and haven't been for 7 years. So, you would never meet their current financial hardship criteria assuming you are even in financial hardship today.

Maybe they pressed the wrong button on the response or maybe they felt it was easier to use that response as it was over 6 years ago we wont know even if there was no 6-year rule to apply. However, the bottom line is that you have no rights to any refund of overdraft charges.

That is all I needed thank you very much.

just be happy we got the silver account fees back :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure