Loans on circumstances

Options
ZachAsaD
ZachAsaD Posts: 6 Forumite
First Anniversary
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. Just wanted to ask a question on behalf of my brother. Basically, he is self employed, earns about 600-700 a week. But his credit score is "very poor" about 511 I think.
He's wanting to get a £5k personal unsecured loan to purchase a new car that will help with his job. The only thing is, his banks wouldn't even bother speaking to him about his income, just said he wasn't eligible and he was also refused a loan from Tesco. Is there any financial products (loans) that don't just look at the credit history? Is there any lenders that will actually sit down with him and work it out? Or is there another way I don't know about? Guarantor loans are out of the question too.

Any help or advice regarding getting a loan in his circumstances are very welcome!

Thanks!

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Firstly ignore any credit scores as they are meaningless.

From what you have written, your brother has a poor credit history (for whatever reasons) which in turn means he now has to do things the old fashioned way of save up for them if he can't get any credit.

Can he not buy a cheaper car?

If he's on £6-700 per week, why hasn't he got any savings?

There are no lenders that will lend without a credit check/looking at credit history.

He can always try his luck and enter his details here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/loans-calculator/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has your brother checked there record to ensure its correct as with a income like that there own bank should be more than happy to facilitate
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ZachAsaD wrote: »
    ...my brother. Basically, he is self employed...The only thing is, his banks wouldn't even bother speaking to him about his income, just said he wasn't eligible and he was also refused a loan from Tesco.

If they heard he is self employed and didn't discuss income then maybe he failed this rule on being self employed for 2+ years:
    "You're in full time employment with no probationary period or you've been self employed for over two years or have a regular income e.g. pension"

If true, that doesn't mean he can't get a loan elsewhere, just he needs to read the terms carefully before applying.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Why is your brother's credit score 'VERY POOR?'. This has nothing whatsoever to do with either employment status or income as the CRA's don't hold this information/
    The cause of the refusal of the loan was whatever is causing the very low credit score. I know credit scores are worthless as such but are nevertheless indicative and 'very low' strongly implies something not very good there.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Firstly ignore any credit scores as they are meaningless.[/url]

Again this misleading MSE mantra.

A poor credit score indicates that there are things in your credit history or circumstances that might give a lender cause for concern. It therefor suggests there might be things that the borrower should look at to improve their chances of getting a loan.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Good income. £5,000 every two months coming in ...
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1 If self employed has OP got a business account?
    2 Has he registered himself with HMRC as self employed?
    3 Has he got any late payment markers, CCJ's ?
    4 Is he up to date with all outstanding liabilities such as rent/mortgage/utility bills?

Earning £600 per week is of no use to OP if he already spends £601 (what about tax bills?) he simply cannot afford it.

Now if he had a business account with a business plan showing how the vehicle would generate bigger revenues then he may have a chance.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 May 2017 at 10:15PM
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    Again this misleading MSE mantra.

A poor credit score indicates that there are things in your credit history or circumstances that might give a lender cause for concern. It therefor suggests there might be things that the borrower should look at to improve their chances of getting a loan.

The most stringent lenders are also not always the best deals, so you can have bad things on your credit history and still get the best deals. However if your credit history is really bad (which will give you a low credit score) then you won't get the best deals.

Your bank may look more favourably on your predicament.
    ZachAsaD wrote: »
    Is there any lenders that will actually sit down with him and work it out?

If he's defaulted on a load of loans then I'm not sure that sitting down and promising that he's not going to default on this loan will get him anywhere. They don't accept pinky promises.

What exactly is on his credit file?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If he has a good income can he not save up for a car? £2400-£2800+ per month is reasonable although presumably he has to pay tax on this?

If he has a very poor credit record that is usually due to defaults in the past. If he has a history of not paying his debts he is unlikely to be offered a loan at even a reasonable rate let alone a good one. Can he save and buy a cheaper one to start with?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure