scaniajess Posts: 52 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 11 July 2018 at 11:55AM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
MoneySavingExpert.com update July 2018

For full, detailed help reclaiming PPI read our guide:

Reclaim PPI for Free

---

Back to the original post...

My parents are wanting to check if there's any ppi claims on a few catalogues they had in the past. We've all been reading the ppi claiming page on this site and the free ppi tool but it all seems to be for bank loans and mortgages. The thing is, we can't remember the exact catalogues and who's name they were on (some were mine and some were my mothers). My mother wants to ring the catalogues direct and ask them if there's a claim. Can she do this or do we need to go through different channels first? We just have no idea where to start or even what to do :(

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you can't remember if there was PPI or not how can you remember that it was missold?!
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Phone them up. Also speak to the 'underwriter' pf the PPI as they can put pressure on the retailer.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • lovinituk wrote: »
    If you can't remember if there was PPI or not how can you remember that it was missold?!

That's why we're enquiring about!!!! Jeez, calm down. Help we're wanting, not to be spoken to like crap!
  • Phone them up. Also speak to the 'underwriter' pf the PPI as they can put pressure on the retailer.

Brilliant. Thanks for that :beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    scaniajess wrote: »
    Help we're wanting..

The force is strong in this one...
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That's why we're enquiring about!!!! Jeez, calm down. Help we're wanting, not to be spoken to like crap!
    Nobody spoke to you like cr4p. You don't claim for PPI, you make a complaint about it being missold. If you can't remember if you even had it how can you possibly remember that it was missold?!

Perhaps try and understand the facts first rather than jumping on the band wagon.
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The force is strong in this one...
    Take own advice they should. Calm down they must.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My parents are wanting to check if there's any ppi claims on a few catalogues they had in the past. We've all been reading the ppi claiming page on this site and the free ppi tool but it all seems to be for bank loans and mortgages. The thing is, we can't remember the exact catalogues and who's name they were on (some were mine and some were my mothers). My mother wants to ring the catalogues direct and ask them if there's a claim. Can she do this or do we need to go through different channels first? We just have no idea where to start or even what to do :(

Ring the companies and ask. If the front line staff can't help you can gamble £10 on a DSAR (request for all the data they hold on you) for each catalogue (you need to do one for yourself and one for you mum per catalogue). If they have no records left either your complaint is over.

Do remember as above this is a complaint, not a claim, so you need to establish reasons why you feel it was miss-sold (such as if you were unemployed at the time). Do also note anything opened pre-2005 would not be subject to regulation and can be rejected by the catalogue company without access to the FOS, the underwriter has no liability for a miss-sale so the advice above is a bit misleading, they are far more likely to simply reject your complaint as well though some have had the odd success
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite

Hi. I went through the TV Times from Christmas 1989 and there are plenty of catalogues you or your mum may have had.

Here are some to ask your mum about in case it jogs her memory:

Janet Fraser
    Just for you
    Brian Mills
    Littlewoods
    Fashion Extra
    John Myers
    Freemans
    Grattan
    John Noble
    John England
    Peter Craig
    Burlington
    Trafford
    John Moores
    Marshall Ward
    Kays
    Great Universal
    Choice
    Family Album

I am sure there were more, like Empire Stores but anyway I claimed back money from Littlewoods (not very much) as in they days you had to phone up for your orders and you could not get off the phone without them trying to sell you something extra.

In the late 80's I would send for the catalogue to get the free gift, a kettle, or a Breville toaster or a duvet usually but it was great as it saved you money. Plus you could pay things up. Maybe 50p a week for a year.

Anyhow good luck and if you need any help, let me know.
  • indigo2_2
    indigo2_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A couple of years ago I put in a complaint about mis-sold ppi to Look Again Catalogue Company. When I took out my acount I was never aware of why I was paying for insurance with this company and was never charged the extra by any other companies. It all became clear when the PPI issue came up. I tried to claim back the insurance (at the time of using the catalogue
    I was not working as my children were little and it was time that I most needed catalogues and easy payment schemes) I went into details such as - I was not made aware of PPI when I started my account and the fact the I was not working so insurance would not have been valid.
    I had a promp reply from them refusing to refund any of the insurance and I was told that it was the end of the matter and I should not contact them again.
    Good luck to anyone trying now and maybe I shall have another go if anyone else if successful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure