ERUDIO student loans help

Comments

• Jonez
    Jonez Posts: 117 Forumite
    I refused point blank to supply a bank statement, on the basis that it would contain no information confirming my income, only my wife's expenditure, as her salary pays for all of our joint household expenditure, plus my own personal spending. Under no circumstances would she allow a third party to trawl through details of her personal finances. She did, instead, write a second letter confirming the nature of her financial support to me. They seemed particularly keen that she should confirm that no regular allowances are paid to me. I was deferred ok.
  • Jonez wrote: »
    I refused point blank to supply a bank statement, on the basis that it would contain no information confirming my income, only my wife's expenditure, as her salary pays for all of our joint household expenditure, plus my own personal spending. Under no circumstances would she allow a third party to trawl through details of her personal finances. She did, instead, write a second letter confirming the nature of her financial support to me. They seemed particularly keen that she should confirm that no regular allowances are paid to me. I was deferred ok.

That's good - they refused to accept any letters from my husband, no matter what they said. I just blanked most of the stuff from the bank statements (that was my husbands and also the total in the account) and anything in the descriptions that might be confidential of mine and just left the amounts that were my expenditure/'allowance'. Think they basically wanted a figure, so I gave them one for the previous three months. If anything I think I overestimated my 'allowance' as I had bought some stuff for him on my credit card which came into my 'allowance' but it is pretty much impossible for my husband to 'pay' me over £2300, or whatever the figure is now.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Think that was the plan.

Bully as many people out of deferment as they could manage in the first year as they knew they probably wouldn't get away with all those tactics for much more than that.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • rizla_king
    Good if genuine

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?440245-Erudio-DAF-victory
    Following receipt of my first Erudio DAF I took the view of many on these forums that the form was intrusive, an attempt to gain additional consents and unnecessary to apply for a deferment.

In December I therefore sent proof of income and a signed declaration based on the old SLC form. As was expected I received a reply refusing my application as the form "wasn't signed"

A complaint was then raised which was rejected and is now escalated to the Ombudsmanicon.

I have today come home to a letter from Erudio, confirming my loans have been defered. No reference to a signed form, no reference to the FSO. I've not got a DDicon in force and they are still claiming that "...not having a DD in force...will constitute a breach of your agreement", but obviously not enough of a breach to allow them to refuse a deferment...

For those of you who are still debating whether to cave and sign a form, even a heavily redacted version stand firm. Don't give in to their bullying tactics, only give the information they are required to receive by law.

These loans are post-98 loans.
  • Jonez
    Jonez Posts: 117 Forumite
    Sarebear78 wrote: »
    That's good - they refused to accept any letters from my husband, no matter what they said. I just blanked most of the stuff from the bank statements (that was my husbands and also the total in the account) and anything in the descriptions that might be confidential of mine and just left the amounts that were my expenditure/'allowance'. Think they basically wanted a figure, so I gave them one for the previous three months. If anything I think I overestimated my 'allowance' as I had bought some stuff for him on my credit card which came into my 'allowance' but it is pretty much impossible for my husband to 'pay' me over £2300, or whatever the figure is now.

How can they refuse a letter if said letter constitutes the only form of supporting documentation that is relevant to the circumstances in the application for deferment?
  • Very sad to read all about Pluthero's hollow victory. Many thanks for sharing the FOS reply. Several parts make interesting reading to say the least. Others have already summed it up far better than I could but it seems clear they do not understand the very basics in that there is no legislation to say we have to use a DAF and it simply isn't fair or reasonable to delay in giving straight answers to very serious questions when we have £1000's riding on this.
    Paying for uni to get a job... just to get a job to pay for uni
  • gustavep
    gustavep Posts: 13 Forumite
    rizla_king wrote: »
    Good if genuine

Hi Rizla King, this was my post, happy to provide copies of the emails/letters I sent to Erudio if they'll benefit anyone else. Will need to scan Erudio letter at work tomorrow.
  • rizla_king
    Please do.
  • gustavep
    gustavep Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2015 at 8:36PM
    Can't post links due to being a new user. How many posts do I need to make before I can?

Or is there any other way I can share the letters? Bit too long to quote in a post
  • Jonez wrote: »
    How can they refuse a letter if said letter constitutes the only form of supporting documentation that is relevant to the circumstances in the application for deferment?

If I knew the answer to that.... :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure