Optimisers

Hi All
I have a small shading problem on three panels on one string due to a chimney.A search of the internet to see if there was a system that would cater for just the three panels in question resulted in the find of the tigo energy optimiser ts4r, which can be fitted to induvidual panels that are affected by shading and seem to work a bit like enphase kit.
Just wondered if you chaps on here have any experience of the optimiser.
Any info would be helpfull.
regards
gefnew

Comments

• Hi gefnew, did you ever try out optimisers ?
    Central Beds, 2.02kWp (9 x 225W) south facing with some morning shade, installed 2011 (£7.16/Wp). Tigo monitoring/optimisers on all panels, Growatt MIC 2000 TL-X Inverter and Solar iBoost installed 2022. (4 x 415W + 6 x 405W garden experiment connected to SunSynk 3.6 hybrid inverter & 2 x 5.3kWh SynSynk batteries) (4 x 405W panels queued to go somewhere)
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Chris type R
    Yes and it was quite easy, but have easy access to my panels two flat rooves to work off.
    here is a link to a video from sma.
    https://support.tigoenergy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005150527-SMA-Power-Installation-and-Commissioning-Guide
    regards
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    This is interesting. I have 7 panels in my small array with their own SMA inverter. Not sure I would need to optimise all panels (unless that has to be the case) and was wondering what ball park costs might be for, let's say all 7?
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the Optimsers are £50 a piece?
    https://www.cclcomponents.com/solaredge-p300-rail-mounted-power-optimiser-60-cell-modules

Is anything else needed? Don't know?

Suppose the other thing depends if your Inverter is up to the job of taking 'optimised feed'...... if that makes sense? (i'm pretending I think I know what i'm talking about). :rotfl:
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • pinnks
    I see but think these are a bit different to the ts4r SMA solution gefnew was mentioning - my inverter is SMA SunnyBoy, so probably more luck in using their product without loads of additional expense but all a bit like searching for a black cat in a coalmine...
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pinnks wrote: »
    I see but think these are a bit different to the ts4r SMA solution gefnew was mentioning - my inverter is SMA SunnyBoy, so probably more luck in using their product without loads of additional expense but all a bit like searching for a black cat in a coalmine...

Some SMA TS4R variants here: http://www.windandsun.co.uk/products/Inverters/Tigo-Energy-Optimizers/Tigo-TS4-R-Optimisers#.W2ijUNhKiRs

https://zerohomebills.com/product/tigo-energy-ts4-r-optimiser-ts-4r-o-yellow/
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • gefnew
    Hi all
    yes about that but if you know anybody in trade cheaper.
    got mine from a company called ccl components.
    regards
  • Thanks - I have issues with shade on mine, so have been investigating solutions.

Do you have an idea of what sort of improvement you've seen ?
    Central Beds, 2.02kWp (9 x 225W) south facing with some morning shade, installed 2011 (£7.16/Wp). Tigo monitoring/optimisers on all panels, Growatt MIC 2000 TL-X Inverter and Solar iBoost installed 2022. (4 x 415W + 6 x 405W garden experiment connected to SunSynk 3.6 hybrid inverter & 2 x 5.3kWh SynSynk batteries) (4 x 405W panels queued to go somewhere)
  • pinnks
    Thanks all. I too would be interested in improvements. This is a document I penned a while back when I was last wondering about retrofitting something https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k06xp8bjehyx32/More%20on%20the%20impact%20of%20shading.pdf?dl=0

I think I was thinking SE at that time but guestimated about £1000 to retrofit 7 panels including scaffold and labour. Looks like that might be the same for TiGo unless the installer would be prepared to use a scaffold tower at 1/4 the price of actual scaffolding (hired one for a week a couple of years ago from Jxxsxns for £75).

Could probably do it yourself with good instructions or does it need building regs sign-off/sparks certification?
  • gefnew
    HI
    I have shading early morning due to a chimney breast which covers thee panels. have two strings running sma 4000tl inverter mppt controlled,
    we lose a lot on the smaller string early morning but this has improved by cutting out the effected panels seems to work ok.
    but my monitoring is only by sunny explorer so early days yet but seem to work ok
    regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport