Buy to let property not selling: what to do?

Options
Hi,

I have a one bedroom buy to let property in Yorkshire (I now live in London). I bought it for £81,500 in 2010 on a 75% BTL and have let it out for the majority of that time. The rental yield is 6% before fees etc. Once they have been taken into account it drops to 3.5-4%. It has not proven to be a good investment and maintenance work / covering void periods has wiped out all profit. Over the entire time I have had it I have broken even at best but likely lost money.

I currently have it on a 5 year fixed, interest only mortgage. The fixed period ends in Jul 2021. The rate for this is very high (~5%) but was what was available/advised when I remortgaged in 2016. The repayments are £233 per month and there is a £3000 penalty for early repayment before the 5 year fix is up. With this penalty the total owed under the mortgage is £64k.

Earlier this year I decided to sell but, despite 9 months on the market and a competitive price (I was willing to accept £75,000 for it, there has been no interest except for a speculative offer of £50k, Even putting it up for auction didn't help generate interest.

My question is what I should do next. I think re-letting is the only choice in the short term, as I am currently having to pay out ~£450 each month to cover the BTL mortgage, council tax, bills etc and I can't do this indefinitely.

I also want to look at the mortgage position as it is expensive and also restrictive due to the long fixed in period. I think I have three options:

1. Carry on with existing mortgage at £233 pcm and look to sell again in summer 2021 when I will have £61k of debt against the property. Total mortgage payments between now and then will be around £7000.

2. Remortgage to cheap interest only mortgage with shorter fixed term (2 years) and look to sell again at the end of that fixed term (likely early 2020). From a cursory look I reckon I can reduce monthly mortgage payments to ~£110, including paying the early repayment charge. I will still have £64k of debt against the property in 2020 but will reduce expenditure on mortgage until I can sell again to ~£2500

3. Remortgage to a repayment mortgage which will be broadly the same cost as the current arrangement but will at least increase the capital in the asset. On a 2 year deal I would be likely have around £59k debt still outstanding on the property and will have been liable for ~£5500 of mortgage in that time.

Any thoughts appreciated, or other options I haven't thought if.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Option 2 seems pointless. You would be paying to get out of the mortgage you are currently in and then possibly paying to get of the new mortgage.

But I would personally stick with the deal you currently have assuming their is nothing financially better out there.

I sold my house earlier this year, I put it up for £15k more than I wanted it to sell for and £10k more than I wanted to put it on the market for (at advise of agents), I had viewings but no offers. I reduced the price by £10k expecting to take an offer £5k below that price and I received 2 asking price offers within 48 hours. I thought I knew the housing market quite well, but it turns out people are not always prepared to make offers. So why not put it on for what you actually would accept with a fixed asking price?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fickalli wrote: »
    Earlier this year I decided to sell but, despite 9 months on the market and a competitive price (I was willing to accept £75,000 for it, there has been no interest except for a speculative offer of £50k, Even putting it up for auction didn't help generate interest.

Why not simply list the property at a progressively price until it sells.
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Are you saying your house has gone down in value since 2010 or are you just in a very undesirable area?
  • fickalli
    Options
    Well, no-one is interested in buying it so yes, I guess it has decreased in value, and considerably. It's not an undesirable area (Yorkshire market town).
  • fickalli
    Options
    It's currently listed at offers over £69,995 and getting zero interest, I need to recover at least £64,000 plus fees to cover the outstanding mortgage so there isn't a lot of scope to lower the price. I would also lose all capital I have in the property so not hugely appealing!
  • specialkaye
    Options
    Are there a lot of similar houses up for sale in the area and are these at similar prices and quality? This makes a huge difference in getting offers at a price you are happy with.

Is the property tenanted, could it be marketed as an investment property with tenants remaining? If there are no tenants is it worth bringing the property up to the local standard and maybe it will sell faster?

Can you increase the yield slightly while you decide what to do?
    1% at a time challenge member #127

MWF: as@ Oct13 £45,917, now £43,024.56
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you allowed to overpay the mortgage ? Even 10% a year ?
    You have a long term mortgage so why not try and rent it out again.
    Unless you can afford to buy in London ? 3% extra stamp duty
    The more you pay off the mortgage the more equity you are building up and less Interest you are paying ( better yield)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure