<<<out of cheese error>>>

Comments

• Just saying hello, will read through some posts when I get chance, but will subscribe!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • greenbee wrote: »
    Not sure what the protein element would be though. Rabbit maybe?!
    Mole? I can't even send him with nuts which would be simple.
    You do so well with using things up out of the freezer,
    Its scarily empty, 'only' 4 chickens left...
    Is the veg box A&C? They have good offers...
    I used to have one fortnightly and I ate better....

Yes, I used to have one weekly, and then swapped to one from the milkman then stopped when the first cash famine hit. Wasn't great at actually using the contents. Greenbee may remember the pictures of my fruit mountains on Facebook? Its a lot more flexible than it used to be in terms of veg swaps so it might work better. Worth a try anyway.

Hi debtfreeoneday, thanks for posting

EH - the box let me swap in two types of mushrooms, they used to be really lovely fresh ones too so pleased with that.
  • Yesterday I got some flavoured pork steak (pennies!), bit of chorizo and handful of prawns out of the freezer with a vague plan of making jambalaya but OH exercised his right of veto. He doesn't like 'stodge' or pork very much so I cobbled together a stew:

Sliced an onion and started it off in a casserole dish, added cubes of pork, chipotle chilli flakes, and lots of smoked paprika, and the peeled, used chorizo. Gave it a few minutes to brown then added a glass of wine and let it sizzle for a minute, then added a tin of tomatoes, teaspoon of sugar, a chicken stock cube, half a tin of water and some butter beans. Up to bubbling, then lid on simmer for an hour. Added sliced peppers, a tin of potatoes - chopped in half, some mixed herbs, more paprika and a pinch of saffron (not essential but I have lots). tasted it to check for more chilli flakes but it was fine. Back up to bubbling, lid back on for another half hour simmering. It made a really good deep spicy tomato and butterbean stew, and the pork was tender enough by then. It'd work well in a slow cooker I think. We had it with nice HM crusty bread.

I also made scones, but DS1 ate those. He also had three bowls of cereal, plus usual meals. Growth spurt presumably.

Freezer is scarily low, its a big six foot chest freezer that lives in the garage. There's a lot of veg in it so its not empty empty but very few meat units now. Lots of frozen white fish so need to start thinking about what I can do with that.

Store cupboards are also unusually empty - no tinned toms for example - but I do have lots of long dated barts spice paste jars from 15p shelf clearance, and some mini tins of coconut milk to go with them. No bread flour, no baking powder. A meals worth of pasta/rice/couscous.

Fridge is bad. Cheese needs freezing today. Milk may not last till the morning. Have enough butter for breakfast. Tumbleweed hides behind the condiment jars when you open the door......

Tomorrow I will crack and do a proper shop.

Today we have lamb shoulder from the freezer. No potatoes, and not a lot of fresh veg either.
  • Morning Redo,

The stew sounds lovely. We are not pork fans, I wonder if I could use the same base for a different meat?

You are doing so well with running everything right down and using everything up. Will you do a massive shop tomorrow?

Have a lovely Sunday xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Morning Redo,

The stew sounds lovely. We are not pork fans, I wonder if I could use the same base for a different meat?

You are doing so well with running everything right down and using everything up. Will you do a massive shop tomorrow?

Have a lovely Sunday xx

Thanks! I usually use chicken to make it. Doesn't need cooking for as long that way either.

I'm not sure what my plan is yet, I don't want to buy things for the sake of it, but nor do I want to end up paying village co-op prices for things I have run out of. I think I need to plan meals based on what we do have left and work from that but I hate doing it. More likely is that I will have a fit of petulance and throw everything in the trolley and then live with the inevitable regret and self-loathing :p.
  • I know the feeling Redo :rotfl:

Going to try the recipe with chicken, sounds delicious xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Currently on target for trolley filling frenzy. I couldn't make the fridge/cupboard contents work for DS1 for his cooking, so had to buy Feta in the village. £1.75! Its under £1 in MrL. We usually have at least one pack in the fridge but of course I have been running things down. Anyway he is doing roasted veg (fridge bottom) couscous with chickpeas and feta, which meets the criteria. We typed it all out and then it got sat on by two wet cats in rapid succession so now reprinting a clean copy. Good job I saved it.

Took the dogs for a walk and realised the wild damsons are finally ripe, 2 kilos picked ready for jamming. Checking the fridge for emptyish jars I realised I had some sunflower spread hidden away which meant I could make some biscuits. Not enough eggs for the DS1 requested Bakewell tart so we made Bakewell biscuits instead. I think there are three left that he is saving for supper :rotfl:

We adapted bero jam blobs, adding almond essence with the egg, and some flaked almonds mixed in and sprinkled on top. Next time I will substitute some of the flour with ground almonds. A soft biscuit, half way to a cake but very nice. It also used up the last of a jar of bramble jelly which gives me another one for the damsons.

Quinoa and roasted veg salad made for packed lunches. Go me :cool:
  • Yum food as always - I should always read your thread after lunch Redo - I always end up hungry! Good mushroom swappage too - that sounds like my kind of veg box! (And my pal's just sent me a text message involving cheese - THAT's not helping!) Oh jeez now another pal is talking about cheese on toast - for goodness sake!! :rotfl::rotfl:

Excellent work on getting the fridge and freezer attacked too - I HAVE to go through our freezer ready for next week's meal plan I think - it's full to bursting but I have lost all grasp on what is in there to make a meal. I need some weekends at home as weekday food is different to weekend food in our house - if i watch what I eat on weekdays I can nosh more or less what I like at weekends which suits me fine! :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Sorry EH - hope you found something to eat

I did do the food shopping, vague mental list, no meal plan :o

Need to work out the numbers and update the spreadsheet, as a lot of it was for the animals and I have split them off into their own budget this month.

No bargains and nothing bought for the freezer. Actually the fridge doesn't look much better than it did before I went in terms of obvious food. Store cupboard restocked - tinned food and baking stuff.

DS1 hates roasted veg, well, nearly all veg actually. Its lovely hidden in huge lumps in couscous apparently and he has eaten all he made as an after school snack :D

I'm looking at the uninspiring remains of the fatty lamb and trying to think what I can cobble together for dinner for OH and SS. Maybe shred it in the food processor and make shephards pie, or fry some cubes off in curry spices and make something biriani ish.

A whole 20 minutes of tedious done, and I need to do at least an hour of ironing. Not the most productive of days, not even sure where the time went.
  • A rather spendy day, hair cut and colour for me which was planned and the core texts books DS1 requires for English that school don't provide, which wasn't. Still have others to buy but they are not on the school system yet.

The A&C box came - lots of lovely fresh veg that I am challenging myself to use up. Dinner tonight was jacket potatoes, corn on the cob, sausages, last of the fresh cheese (<<<out of cheese error!!>>>) and/or peppery salad leaves from the box. I also cooked a chicken (freezer stash) so there is cold meat for packed lunch salads. I have three punnets of mushrooms to use on something suitably splendid tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback