A new chapter

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,544 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi LP
    I remember you from MFi3 sorry to hear of your breakup but sounds like it was for the best and you are enjoying yourself even if you see less of the kids.

Ive subscribed
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Hey TG,

Thanks for popping in, yes its definitely for the best for me. I didn't realise just how oppressed I was until this all happened, I actually look forward to coming home now whereas before it was always "is she drinking already", or wondering what the next argument would be about.

it'll delay my overall plans obviously but I am still determined!

I am going to sell some banking shares I have which should be another £220-240 in the kitty.

Mortgage free - 01/05/2019, mortgage high £200k 2011
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,544 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds like you're definitely better off without her I know what that dread feels like coming home you end up making any excuse to stay away obviously not good when you have kids. I definitely don't believe in staying together for the sake of the kids not good for them growing up in that atmosphere. Enjoy your "freedom" and the ability to set your own goals etc.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• It is an awful time - I am divorced and sadly now my son and grandchildren have been going through the same thing. I can only sympathise and say that it does get better and you will have a happy future.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • lincoln-potter
    lincoln-potter Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 24 January 2017 at 12:57PM
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Sounds like you're definitely better off without her I know what that dread feels like coming home you end up making any excuse to stay away obviously not good when you have kids. I definitely don't believe in staying together for the sake of the kids not good for them growing up in that atmosphere. Enjoy your "freedom" and the ability to set your own goals etc.

Yeah I most certainly am better off, had a few messages last night from her friends who are even shocked by her behaviour and yet I was led to believe they all agreed with her. I just need to stay strong when she tries to use the children as a bargaining tool, which he has done already.

You are right there is no point staying together just for the sake of the children, I have actually seen my patience with them grow after she left because I don't have so much bottled up inside anymore. Not that I was short with them before but now I am even more relaxed.
    It is an awful time - I am divorced and sadly now my son and grandchildren have been going through the same thing. I can only sympathise and say that it does get better and you will have a happy future.

Thanks for those words SSS, I am sure it will get easier, as they say time is a healer.

On a MSE front I had a BACS from music magpie today for £60.50 for my old phone. Tonight is my last free night for a few nights so I am going to try and ebay a couple of larger items, like an old cot, stair gates etc. I am also going to wrap some birthday presents ready and make some crafty birthday cards for the kids. Its early but at least I won't be rushing last minute then.

I did the meal planner last night and except for going to the shop for milk, I think I have enough food in the freezer, tins and fridge to cover me for the next 30 days.....

Also should be getting a £213.96 refund from electric supplier next few days :)

• Well done on the meal plan LP (did you freeze your LO Pulled Pork?) - also glad that you had a good weekend.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Well done on the meal plan LP (did you freeze your LO Pulled Pork?) - also glad that you had a good weekend.

MCI

No i wasn't sure on how soon after I was able to freeze, so had most of it the next day in a butty. I think in future I'll either cut the portion in half or just try to buy a smaller one to begin with! :rotfl:

There won't be any mort OP this month as since I got his with stamp duty and some other bills I am "overdrawn" on what figure I like to have in the bank at any one time. Maybe next month. I'll also post a current SOA soon once I know the monthly outgoings now I am single.

• Placed a couple more matched bets today, should all come in this weekend, finding it quite easy so far. Glad I started a spreadsheet as its easy to lose track of who you have free bets with still.

The payment came through for the phone £60.50 and the refund on the electric bill. Came through faster than I was expecting in fact.

Last night i assembled some more guy equipment that had arrived, just need to hang the punching bag and I think I am about all set with everything I need then. Just need to get back into the habit of using it on a night. Just been that busy of late I don't seem to have had time.

Going to the cinema tonight to see Passengers, the trailer looks good so hopefully the film won't disappoint. I'll use my 2for1 app when I get there so thats something at least. not exactly a no spend but still....

Visiting some old friends for some drinks tomorrow night who I haven't seen for a couple of years but I am trying to reconnect now that I am single. No doubt I'll be quizzed on what went on but I want to get to the point where the main conversation isn't always the past but instead the future.

Then another busy weekend coming up, off to see a uni mate on the saturday and watching a football game at his local team then over to see my old man on the night, so sunday will have to be "jobs" day, the jobs I will try to do are:
    - Move some building materials from the front of the house (since the house is empty in the daytime anybody could make off with them).
    -Fix some bed side tables
    -Paint DD ceiling

• You can freeze it as soon as it's cool :)

Sounds like you have a lot on at the moment - good to be busy though.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • You can freeze it as soon as it's cool :)

Sounds like you have a lot on at the moment - good to be busy though.

MCI

Duly noted, next time I'll be sure to freeze it.

Yes hardly any free nights really, the film was quite good a bit of a plan on titanic but in space really but easy enough to watch.

Next week schedule is already starting to fill up, only have Sunday and Tuesday as "free" nights, and by free I mean nights where I can actually tackle some of the house jobs I want to get sorted, although I guess I will be able to do some that weekend on a night when the kids are in bed.

Not much of a NSD day today, bought some locks and bits to make the house, sheds and fence gates a bit more secure. Since I am out all day I want that extra security to put my mind at rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport