Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 January 2012 at 6:31PM
    Options
    whoops, sorry :). it's on page one, the letter to copy.

t, x

Ah ....... it's split over 2 lines and says :
    Details available from .... your employer/pay roll dept !!

However - use the address at post #1070.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    T.C.1 wrote: »
    Hi, I sent a letter to HMRC reclaiming uniform tax for the past six years, got a reply today saying my tax code from 6 April 2011 to 5 April 2012 will be 753L from 747L but what about the six years back date? Phoned HMRC which took 20 mins to get through!!! the man siad he would e-mail the department and I should have a reply by the 17th of Feb. I did state in my claim letter that i requested a cheque for the backdated money. Anybody else had dealings in this area!!!!:j
    There's a number of very recent posts covering exactly the same thing. The P2 (Coding Notice) comes from one source and the P800s / cheque elsewhere. So they do not arrive together.
  • Deakers
    Options
    I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry!

Sent my letter at the beginning of January and got my new tax codes last week, on Saturday I got a series of letters covering the previous 7 tax years stating that I'd over paid every year and that I'd be receiving rebates of between £200 and £700 for each year, totalling nearly £3500!!!!

Laugh? I have no doubt without sending my letter this would never have been discovered, a huge thank you to everyone involved with this thread.

Cry? I hate to think how many years it had gone on for and how much I'd overpaid and will never see again.
    Deakers
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Deakers wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry!

Sent my letter at the beginning of January and got my new tax codes last week, on Saturday I got a series of letters covering the previous 7 tax years stating that I'd over paid every year and that I'd be receiving rebates of between £200 and £700 for each year, totalling nearly £3500!!!!

Laugh? I have no doubt without sending my letter this would never have been discovered, a huge thank you to everyone involved with this thread.

Cry? I hate to think how many years it had gone on for and how much I'd overpaid and will never see again.

Before you go and spent that amount I suggest you read the documentation more closely as I think you'll find that the £700 which is the most recent 2010/11 one is the total.

Look at the amounts at the bottom of each year, do they increase incrementally? That's because the total is carried forward to the next year's. If you add them all up you'll be counting some years multiple times and get a much bigger figure.
  • Forris
    Forris Posts: 366 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2012 at 3:04PM
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I have looked through the thread but can't see that the question has been answered.

Am I still able to make a claim, even though (until recently) I was self-employed since 2004. I was a freelance courier but always had to wear the uniform of the company that I was contracting to.

Thanks.
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    Answered a few times. To the effect this is PAYE. You can claim resonable expenses under SA - but to do that you have to go back and amend your Returns. Potentially far more trouble than (average £12 pa) it's worth.
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    Deakers wrote: »

As post #1085 ......... that is almost certainly wrong. Read the Notes that came with it all. The amount overpaid - in total - is shown at Note 16 on the final year P800.
  • Forris
    Forris Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    Answered a few times. To the effect this is PAYE. You can claim resonable expenses under SA - but to do that you have to go back and amend your Returns. Potentially far more trouble than (average £12 pa) it's worth.

Yep, that's what I figured. Cheers anyway.
  • elliediz
    elliediz Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I received letter from tax office this morning about uniform tax rebate - I was refused as my employer informed them, I dont have to wear the two sweatshirt and jacket (which has their logo on it) but I do have to wear the hi vis, (again has their name printed on it) I also tried to claim for my mobile which I use solely for work, can anyone advise me what to do next????
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    elliediz wrote: »
    I received letter from tax office this morning about uniform tax rebate - I was refused ..

You can appeal the laundry aspect. But as HMRC have (unusually) contacted the employer then I doubt you will get very far. How much laundering does a hi vis cover get?
    On the mobile. If you're an employee then you have little prospect of a claim via HMRC. If it's an employment requirement then your employer should be providing it or reimbursing the direct cost.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback