Halifax early repayment charge refund HELP

Options
Hi everyone,

was hoping for a bit of advice regarding my halifax ERC refund, will start with the background first.

so back on the 22nd September I completed the sale of my house and paid around £2500 ERC for ending the mortgage early, my solicitor then informed me that IF I then get my next mortgage with Halifax within 3 months I will get the full balance of that back to me. So i went into branch and spoke with a mortgage adviser who confirmed this. I found my house and got the ball rolling with offers etc and applied for the mortgage with Halifax, my MA again informed me that I will receive all of the ERC back upon completion as she had to get a special code from my previous mortgage account details in order to action this. Obviously this was a huge factor in me going back with Halifax and not a different lender.

So fast forward to 10th November and I completed the purchase of the property so only 7 weeks after the sale of my last house! :beer:
and emailed Halifax asking when the £2500 will be credited back to me and was informed 10 working days. Today I received a letter from Halifax saying I will only be getting £1111.90 back and will be with me in 5 days.

Obviously this is incorrect or its a serious case of miss leading me in order to get me to take out a mortgage with them again? Can any one offer a bit of advice on where I stand with this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Did they give you a reason?
    You need to speak to Halifax, if you believe they are wrong then you will need to file an official complaint. If they reject it and you are unhappy with their reasoning, you can take it to the ombudsman.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Scotty88_2
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Did they give you a reason?
    You need to speak to Halifax, if you believe they are wrong then you will need to file an official complaint. If they reject it and you are unhappy with their reasoning, you can take it to the ombudsman.

No reasoning just a 'I am pleased to confirm £1111.90' will be credited back to your account in 5 days and represents a partial refund' on the letter.

I have all emails etc showing I was told the full amount etc. really annoying! hope someone has had a similar problem that they resolved?

thanks
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is your new mortgage considerably lower than the previous one?

You cannot claim the charge back on lending you have not retaken.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    amnblog wrote: »

Good shout! I did not think of that.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Scotty88_2
    Options
    amnblog wrote: »

yeah its a bit less to be fair however doesn't really change the fact I was informed and assured over and over that I would be receiving the full amount back does it? theirs a good chance I would of went with a different bank if I had the full facts placed in front of me, as youn would expct from a bank and not just posted to me after I seemingly can't do anything about it :mad:
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There we are then.

The amount you have re taken should be allowed for. Also the amount within your overpayment limit. You pay the charge on the rest. That’s the contractual position.

Whether you were mistakenly told different is a separate issue.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Scotty88 wrote: »
    yeah its a bit less to be fair however doesn't really change the fact I was informed and assured over and over that I would be receiving the full amount back does it? theirs a good chance I would of went with a different bank if I had the full facts placed in front of me, as youn would expct from a bank and not just posted to me after I seemingly can't do anything about it :mad:

Let's face it, saying you 'would have gone with a different bank' make a good (compensation) soundbite but if you went anywhere else, were they going to save you more than the £1.2k you would have given up in doing so? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure