Wash your uniform at home ?

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    b33r wrote: »
    Hi,

The business I work for require us to wear the company logo'd T-shirt (and black trousers and formal shoes) however only when we will have customers, clients or suppliers in the office that day (if not we can wear what we like (within reason!). If i were to guess this is approximately 40% of the time although it is getting more frequent however doubt it will ever reach 100%.

Can I still claim?
    if your contract of employment requires you to wear a uniform then you are required to wear one and when asked your employer would presumably confirm that to HMRC

don't blink, you may not see your £12 tax rebate :)
  • b33r
    b33r Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    00ec25 wrote: »
    if your contract of employment requires you to wear a uniform then you are required to wear one and when asked your employer would presumably confirm that to HMRC

don't blink, you may not see your £12 tax rebate :)

Hey, better in my pocket than theirs!

Thanks for the reply, I don't think it states in my contract of employment but I will check. If it doesn't (and it's just a policy) does that mean I can't claim?
  • b33r wrote: »
    I don't think it states in my contract of employment but I will check. If it doesn't (and it's just a policy) does that mean I can't claim?
    I think you'll have a hard time convincing HMRC that you're entitled to anything. I've never heard of anyone claiming on the basis that they have to wear a tee shirt 40% of the time.

I assume your trousers and shoes on those days are your own and not issued by the company? If so, you are wanting to claim simply for washing a tee shirt which you are not required to wear most of the time. Hardly an extra cost to you!
  • b33r
    I think you'll have a hard time convincing HMRC that you're entitled to anything.

Yeh, no intentions of making a battle out of it, i just read about the uniform tax rebate on the weekly newsletter and so wondered if it applied in my case and if it was easy enough I would claim what I'm entitled to.
    I've never heard of anyone claiming on the basis that they have to wear a tee shirt 40% of the time.

Yeh I did a bit of googling and couldn't find any other cases which is why I asked.
    I assume your trousers and shoes on those days are your own and not issued by the company? If so, you are wanting to claim simply for washing a tee shirt which you are not required to wear most of the time. Hardly an extra cost to you!

Yes, trousers and shoes are my own. No the cost will be minimal but if there is any cost at all that I am entitled to claim back and the process to do it was easy enough (i.e. didn't cost me more in time than I could claim) I would do it.
  • b33r wrote: »
    the cost will be minimal
    The cost will be nil, as your tee shirt can easily go in with your normal laundry.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 November 2017 at 11:57AM
    The cost will be nil, as your tee shirt can easily go in with your normal laundry.
    whilst I understand your annoyance, the fact is that if your employer requires you to wear clothing that meets the definition of a uniform then it does not matter whether that clothing comprises 1 or 20 items

you can claim the default rate for doing uniform laundry: £60 pa, and thus get a £12 tax rebate as a basic rate taxpayer.

there are only 2 real issues:
    a) if HMRC contacts the employer, will the employer be able to provide evidence that wearing the uniform is a requirement and thus "wholly, necessarily, and exclusively undertaken in the performance of the duties of the employment": yes/no. There is no minimum wear period, merely the existence of a requirement, eg: 1% of the time.

and

b) does the clothing meet the definition of a uniform: yes/no.
    A T-shirt with permanent logo is unquestionably a uniform in that sense.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim32475

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim32480
  • 00ec25 wrote: »
    whilst I understand your annoyance, the fact is that if your employer requires you to wear clothing that meets the definition of a uniform then it does not matter whether that clothing comprises 1 or 20 items
    I'm not annoyed! :)

I just think user "b33r" will not be successful, unless the tee shirt is part of his contract.

I was pointing out that he shouldn't be too disappointed as his "uniform" doesn't actually cost him anything extra in laundry fees.

If he is successful, on the other hand, he has £12 that the Taxman would otherwise have.
  • B33r, I have claimed for years on the basis of wearing a logoed tshirt and some PPE occasionally. They don’t specifiy how frequently something has to be worn or how frequently it has to be washed or how many items there have to be. I took it as ‘if there is anything you have been given to wear for work and need to wash that you wouldn’t wear oiytside of work’. Sure £12 a year isn’t much but it’s better then nothing bearing in mind how easy it is to claim.
  • My employer provides me with 3 polo shirts embroidered with the company logo. Nowhere in my contract does it stipulate that I must wear them. I wear one when the circumstances suit, the rest of the time I wear a shirt and tie. To say there is no cost involved in washing and drying them at home just because they can get put in with the rest of the laundry is incorrect.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • b33r
    My employer provides me with 3 polo shirts embroidered with the company logo. Nowhere in my contract does it stipulate that I must wear them. I wear one when the circumstances suit, the rest of the time I wear a shirt and tie. To say there is no cost involved in washing and drying them at home just because they can get put in with the rest of the laundry is incorrect.

Thanks for the reply. Do you claim the tax allowance for this?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback