Notification of possible redundancy

Options
30 years employed with same company, today called into the FD's office and given "Notification of possible redundancy letter". I'm in a pool of one???

They say my workload has decreased (it hasn't) and that my job will be merged into another role. Basically my job is still there, they are giving it to the person who covers my job when I'm on holiday.

I have good time keeping and attendance (I've had 5 days off sick in 30 years), I'm never late, I'm flexible with hours I work and have good conduct and performance.

My question is - Can they make me redundant if my job is still there?

Comments

• ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    But the job is not there if they are merging it with another since it becomes a new role. Obviously your employer feels that the role that takes you all week can be combined with another to make 1 job, so perhaps you are not as busy as you think or after 30 years you are gilding the lily. A better question would be could you do the new role? do you have the skills, knowledge etc to take on a new challenge.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    if the job is merging with another the question to ask is why not a pool of two?

Who covers the other person when they are on holiday?
    If that is you then there may be a case for a pool of two.

as part of the consultation you can put a case together that highlights issues they may have missed

eg when you come back from holiday is there a massive backlog or have they managed to do both jobs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure