Demand from Mil Collection for First Utility

Yesterday I received a demand from Mil Collections for £11.58 for a supposed debt from 2013 when I was with First Utility. At first I thought it was an internet scam, and I called their head office to make certain they are genuine - which they appear to be.

I then called First Utility, and was reminded of part of the reason I left them by hanging on the phone for 20 minutes. I have now emailed FU CS, with a copy to Mil Collections - I am looking for evidence of an invoice.

Has anyone here any experience of this kind of activity, and is there any advice you can offer?

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm afraid that that FU, (and all other suppliers), have up to 6 years to adjust previously issued bills.
    You are doing exactly the right thing by asking for a detailed bill that justifies the the late demand for more money
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ...amazing that they are chasing for such a small amount after 4 years !!
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    First Utility have got a bit of a reputation for this. I do not know whether it is their computer systems or what. A family member also switched away from FU and had confirmed everything was paid up to date. Meter readings matched, no outstanding bill etc.

A few years layer they sent an outstanding bill amount.

This was rebuffed via email, evidence attached, and all went silent. A year or so later they sent another, which was again rebuffed.

They seem to randomly send a final bill demand every so often but have never escalated the matter any further.

It is all very odd. It smacks of an issue with their computer systems.

Whether this is the case with you, it is a matter of looking at past bills and doing the numbers. Obviously requesting the evidence from them is a good first step.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yesterday I received a demand from Mil Collections for £11.58 for a supposed debt from 2013 when I was with First Utility. At first I thought it was an internet scam, and I called their head office to make certain they are genuine - which they appear to be.

I then called First Utility, and was reminded of part of the reason I left them by hanging on the phone for 20 minutes. I have now emailed FU CS, with a copy to Mil Collections - I am looking for evidence of an invoice.

Has anyone here any experience of this kind of activity, and is there any advice you can offer?

You have done the right thing so far by requesting a copy of the bill (or other similar evidence with full details of what makes up the debt) if you really do not know what it relates to, or agree with it.

Once you have that detail, then if you have no reason to contest the amount demanded, I suggest you pay :)
  • Many thanks to everyone for the advice - much appreciated.

I will continue to press FU for documentary evidence of what is owed, and if/when they produce that, I will settle up.

I am rather displeased that meter readings are registered on handover day, a final bill is produced and settled - and something like this pops out. I do suspect that it will cost FU more to dig out the evidence than the amount owing on this bill - but that is life.
  • An update for those folks giving me advice.

I have talked to Mil Collections a couple of times, and they have agreed to send me an First Utility invoice - they do not have one to hand, and have requested it from FU.

I have agreed to pay, assuming the invoice actually arrives, and makes sense.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    That's why its a good idea to keep your bills/statements for at least six years after you think you've paid the final one and left them.

Trying to sort it all out without your own evidence can be quite tricky if they just present you with a bill and you've got no evidence to refute it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dogshome wrote: »
    I'm afraid that that FU, (and all other suppliers), have up to 6 years to adjust previously issued bills.
    You are doing exactly the right thing by asking for a detailed bill that justifies the the late demand for more money

I've just had the same issue! Although dogshome is incorrect in purely quoting standard timelines on chasing debts. Since 2007 Energy suppliers have given a commitment to OFGEM to not backbill customers over 12 months where they are at fault

https://www.first-utility.com/help/bills-and-payments/what-is-back-billing
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dazza.mk wrote: »
    I've just had the same issue! Although dogshome is incorrect in purely quoting standard timelines on chasing debts. Since 2007 Energy suppliers have given a commitment to OFGEM to not backbill customers over 12 months where they are at fault

https://www.first-utility.com/help/bills-and-payments/what-is-back-billing

That's good, so you just had the same issue, have you?

Perhaps you could help the OP whilst they are stressing awaiting a response from the supplier, as to what exactly their additional bill is for, how it is made up, etc?

The fact that you can also assure the OP at this time that their debt is entirely down to the fault of the supplier will also appease them immensely, I'm sure.

Any chance you could tell me what tomorrows winning lottery numbers will be please? :cool:
  • eidman
    eidman Posts: 22 Forumite
    I too have just received an email requesting £14.34, I assumed it was a scam & advised them so. As have not been a customer for at least 4 years.

Having read these threads am wondering if it could be legit. How can it be worthy them chasing such small amounts?!

Not sure how hey have come to this, but will ask for proof etc.

Has everyone else also received emails, or other communications, etc?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure