Partner's divorce proceedings

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    As above, you don't have to provide it, hehas to disclose what he knows about it.

SO if what he knows is that you own your home with a mortgage and that you are working but he doesn't know how much you earn, then that is what he discloses.

Which will more than likely lead to more questions !
  • Got it - thanks !!
  • He'll see his solicitor with his paperwork tomorrow and then he'll find out if the information he has provided is sufficient.
    I did not refuse or object to telling him my financial details, but I felt it was at this stage inappropriate as I don't want to be a party to his divorce proceedings.
    So he has put a bundle together and see his solicitor tomorrow.
    We will take it from there.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    There is one potential slightly awkward point that you may want to consider.

If you decide that your finances etc are none of their business, her solicitor may advise that she can sue for divorce based on his adultery with you. It would be very human for her to want to deliver tit for tat if she felt that she was somehow being short-changed.

It might be prudent to appear to be obliging so as to avoid being "dragged into the divorce proceedings" by his wife when it looks from here as though matters are being resolved reasonably amicably and without fisticuffs.

Might a quick word with his solicitor, face to face, be reassuring to you?
  • There is one potential slightly awkward point that you may want to consider.

If you decide that your finances etc are none of their business, her solicitor may advise that she can sue for divorce based on his adultery with you. It would be very human for her to want to deliver tit for tat if she felt that she was somehow being short-changed.

It might be prudent to appear to be obliging so as to avoid being "dragged into the divorce proceedings" by his wife when it looks from here as though matters are being resolved reasonably amicably and without fisticuffs.

Might a quick word with his solicitor, face to face, be reassuring to you?

What does it matter if the soon to be ex-wife names the partner due to adultery? As far as Im aware it makes no odds at all
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It wouldn't be much of a relationship (in my opinion) if adultery wasn't involved.
  • Their divorce is proceeding on the long term separation clause (over 5 years) and is already at decree nisi stage.
    They were already separated before we met. So I would like to think she can't change the reason for divorce at this stage, just because nobody is telling her how much the new partner of her ex is earning or how much said new partner's house is worth.
    What a crazy world if that was possible .... it would make a failed marriage almost seem like a life-long illness you cannot possibly cure even if you try... with one person always trying to sponge off the other based on a misguided sense of entitlement. Sad really. But I do take your point, there are a lot of sad people out there.
    We'll see what the solicitor has to say once he has sifted through all the paperwork.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    As i said before. You dont have to. there is nothing in law to compel you to tell them anything. There is no available sanction against you if you dont tell them anything.

If you and your partner are not married then the court cannot infer anything from it if he says 'i dont know' about your finances.

His divorce is pretty much done and dusted. Nothing can change in that regard. This is the financial settlement. You can be as helpful or unhelpful as you want to be. In general i would suggest that as you definitely wont have anything to gain either way then its best to keep your own business to yourself. Anything you disclose to his solicitor WILL be disclosed to her solicitor and to her.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Their divorce is proceeding on the long term separation clause (over 5 years) and is already at decree nisi stage.
    They were already separated before we met. So I would like to think she can't change the reason for divorce at this stage, just because nobody is telling her how much the new partner of her ex is earning or how much said new partner's house is worth.
    What a crazy world if that was possible .... it would make a failed marriage almost seem like a life-long illness you cannot possibly cure even if you try... with one person always trying to sponge off the other based on a misguided sense of entitlement. Sad really. But I do take your point, there are a lot of sad people out there.
    We'll see what the solicitor has to say once he has sifted through all the paperwork.

No, she can't.

And while in your case it's clearly well past the point it might have come up, others may like to know that even if she had wanted to involve you, her solicitor would have advised against it.

Standard practice is that you don't name the 'other man' or 'other woman' in an adultery case. It makes the divorce more complex and expensive, and a court doesn't look kindly on it so it's liable to mean the person doing it will be shooting themselves in the foot, particularly in relation to costs.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • We now put together a brief description of my finances including approx annual income and the fact I am a house owner.
    Turns out the solicitor wanted:
    - a valuation of my property
    - a list of my personal assets
    - statements of all my savings accounts
    - gross annual and monthly income
    -mortgage details

Needless to say the answer to that consists of two words only. (second one being off)
    What a cheek !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport