Britons might need a visa to visit the USA

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you were travelling there though - you might feel "comforted" that those around you have had to apply for a visa and aren't a random nutter with evil intent.

It doesn't affect everybody/many people .... I'm sure the number of people who would be adversely affected by any visa would be tiny. It's not as if everybody goes there 1-2x a year every year and it'd be hard and make life difficult!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Ganga wrote: »
    But we will not be part of the EU in the future.

Yes. I think that's why we may be excluded from the process.
  • Well for me if I want to visit a country getting a visa is just part of the pita process of travelling.

However, what I find unwelcoming, is the grilling I've always got at customs when visiting the US...in fact I wonder every time why people bother.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Big deal... I had to get a visa when I first went there, and the visa remains valid for the rest of my life. Visas are needed for many (most?) of the really interesting places in the world. The trip to London and the visa interview is part of the holiday, and helps make sure that only motivated people get to visit and so keeps out the riff-raff.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ganga wrote: »
    But we will not be part of the EU in the future.

Err, exactly!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    However, what I find unwelcoming, is the grilling I've always got at customs when visiting the US...in fact I wonder every time why people bother.
    I've never been grilled by customs in the US. Or immigration. A few polite questions, a bit of idle chit-chat & we're on our way.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Indeed. The questioning I faced when I arrived there the first time was longer and more aggressive than almost anywhere else: ranks with being deported from Sudan as one of my most infuriating travel experiences. Part of the problem was that the immigration officer could not grasp that I was there for work but was being paid by a British employer (and yes, I did have a business visa...).

Cuba is so much easier in so many ways...
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    stoneman wrote: »
    You are having a laugh right. Most countries hate us. The Spanish Costas for a start. They are so fed up of the typical British lager lout that we all get tarred with the same brush.
    On the other hand the Americans love our accents, music, and quirkiness. Fortunately the louts haven't made it out there to spoil it.

While I've found Americans in general to be very welcoming and friendly, the process of actually getting into the US is about as unfriendly as it gets in a developed democratic country.

I've never felt unwelcome in Spain either... whether on the Costas or in the cities. Even in Argentina after several visits the only person I came across who expressed dislike of the British was one taxi driver.

So in summary there are loads of places where British people will feel welcome as long as they conduct themselves respectfully, and most of those don't make getting into the country such a pain.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I've never been grilled by customs in the US. Or immigration. A few polite questions, a bit of idle chit-chat & we're on our way.

Idle chit chat? While I was in that huge queue? Tut!
  • Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    EssexExile wrote: »

Same here, I've always found them very pleasant. Unlike South Africa. :eek:
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport