Bank Holiday Childcare

Morning All,

I have been told by the Nursery my Son goes to that they will be closed for Easter Friday (14th of April), I made a comment that at least I wouldn't have to pay for it, but I was corrected and told that I would still have to pay for the day, even though they are telling me they won't be open.

Are they allowed to do that? it seems ridiculous to me that they could charge me for a day not only when my son isn't there, but when they have chosen not to open, so even if I wanted him to go in he couldn't.

I've had arguments with them before because I think it is unfair that they charge us when we take our son out of nursery for the day etc. I understand the whole 'keeping the space' fee, but surely they should do a reduced rate, at the end of the day they could still have another child in that day, if their parents needed to put their child in for an extra day for example as I have done many a time, and that would mean they are not only getting my money for my son, but money from the other parents too!

Let me know if there is anything I can do, I don't want to refuse to pay over such a piddling amount, but I don't want to be taken for a ride either.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This seems to be standard practice. After all they still have to pay their staff for the bank holiday - much the same as many/most people get paid for a bank holiday.

I guess you could raise an objection if they were charging you a separate amount for food etc on a day where they won't be attending. But that is going to be a less significant amount.

As for charging for days where you keep your son off nursery, the nursery may* struggle to fill that place for a specific day.

* the nursery my 2 go to would find it almost impossible to fill the spot but I guess all settings are different.
  • Dewhirstn
    Dewhirstn Posts: 29 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I only actually pay for what they refer to as "wrap around", because I use my 15 hours free childcare, so I am paying for 08:00-09:00, 11:30-13:30 and 16:00-18:00, I think each wrap around costs about £15.00, so it's about £45.00 per full day, so surely if they are getting their bit from the Government, they can not charge me for the "wrap around" as he's not there to require it.

I get the days off because I have chosen to take him out for the day etc, but personally if given enough notice I think they should just charge you a standard fee to keep his spot available.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    What does it say in your contract with the nursery? Most have a clause stating that you will still be charged for bank holidays and for days that your child should attend but doesn't.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2017 at 10:59AM
    Most childcare settings charge for bank holidays and days children are off either upfront as yours do or by costing it into their business plan so they charge a higher hourly rate all year around. For example a setting charging £45 per day open 52 weeks a year, if they didn't charge for Good Friday would need to work the 86p a week loss into their fee structure. For example instead of charging charging £4.50 an hour they may decide to charge £4.52 an hour. This is so they can cover costs and remain a viable business.

In regard to bank holidays and days your child is off from nursery they will still have costs to cover such as council tax, utilities rents/mortgages, insurances, staff costs ( employed staff legally have to get minimum holiday entitlement of 5.6 week a year/pro rata for part timers and bank holidays can be included in this).

Other businesses do similar for example if you went abroad on holiday for a week and don't take your car you don't get a refund in car insurance and road tax. You still have to pay for mortgage/rent, council tax, utility standing charges such as internet and phone services, cable, TV licence, water bills (unless you are on meter) etc for the week you are away.

In regard to the 15 "free hours" often these are not funded at the true cost to the nursery by the local authority/Govt so whilst free to parents they cost the provider. The way nurseries remain open for business is by charging more for hours outside of the "free" hours to cross subsidize them. You will probably have seen all the publicity about this in regard to the 30 "free" hours that are coming in Sept for working parents and that many settings are concerned that they will be unable to offer it due to low funding and lack of "wiggle room" to charge enough for wrap around hours to keep the nurseries open. If they have to close, this means staff unemployment and less childcare choices for parents.

I can see your point that it would be unfair if a nursery allowed a child to fill a space you have paid but are not using on an adhoc basis. The 15 hours nursery funding criteria also states that the "free hours" cannot be double charged for.If they filled the place they also run the risk that your plans change and you decide to bring your child in after all.

As kingfisherblue says, payments in regard to bank holidays and days off should be something that is covered in the contract/agreement you signed with the nursery. If it is not part of the agreement that you signed they cannot charge you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure