Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really don't know why people get so concerned about cancelling broadband/phone. It's only a risk if you actually intend to let the cancellation go through. I've just cancelled my cancellation and been given free line rental. This is the 3rd year I've had free line rental using the same tactic. Now to decide if I want to upgrade to unlimited fibre (plus new Sky Q hub), as free line rental is transferable.

so my current package deal is:
    Box sets, cinema, sports, HD pack = £20pm
    Unlimited broadband, line rental = £7.50pm
    Total= £27.50pm

Or if I decide to take unlimited fibre and a new Sky Q hub my monthly total will be £40pm. Also I was given £100 credit as part of my tv deal, so i'm pretty pleased with this years negotiations.

...its a risk because Sky (or any other ISP) give notice to BT Openreach when you cancel -and they have been known to jump the gun and disconnect early ! I suspect its because they give work to exchange engineers in advance to maximise efficiency !!
    Even if you cancel the cancellation,there is no guarantee that Sky would be able to stop Openreach in time, especially if you let it run to a day or two before due date.
  • Liberty1577
    Liberty1577 Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2017 at 7:42PM
    Options
    @Liberty1577 That's a good deal overall but you haven't got free line rental as the standard price is £17.40 for unlimited ADSL which is the price of the line rental alone, the BB is free for all. I'm not quite sure your math is correct in the 2nd post either.

Yes I do have free line rental because that is the deal I agreed. I pay £7.50 for the unlimited broadband and get free line rental. It's the same deal I've had the last 2 years. The two are billed separately irrespective of any combined deals available. The line rental is usually £17.40 and the broadband is £7.50 (£10 if you don't have tv). My bill clearly states I pay £7.50 for broadband and have a £17.40 discount on line rental.

And there is nothing wrong with my maths. I was initially offered half price line rental (17.40\2=8.70) and either free broadband or fibre with a 7.50 discount (20-7.50=12.50).
    Therefore : broadband £0 + line rental £8.70= £8.70
    Or, Fibre £12.50 + line rental £8.70 = £21.20
    However, knowing I could get free line rental I declined and cancelled. Cancelled Monday night, rejoined Tuesday morning with the free line rental, so I can live with the minimal risk of being cut off early.
  • davethebox
    Options
    I got the same thing last night. 40% off the package or £22.40 for the BB / phone / Sky +. I took the deal for £22.40. 10 mins later saw the 60% off Sky TV for 12 months but that deal actually made it more expensive than the 40% off package so won't be booking that.

I don't actually mind losing sky TV so if there is no greater offer I won't push it.
  • geordiepaul2001
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I found that online offers disappeared (though there was the original 50% for 10 months offer still on the tv ) during cancellation, but afterwards the 'left within 12 months ' link reappeared and that's where the good offer was. (75% off and £100 credit, but the offer was due to end in December, so may no longer apply).

I guess I'll be finding out soon......I don't think the wife is best pleased!
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
  • quoit
    quoit Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    My Sky is due to be turned off tomorrow - I have TV + multi room with them.
    So far I have a 60% off offer through my Sky box, the phone calls have stopped, and I cannot access the offers page of My Sky via the website.
    I have just tried to go on live chat and it says that I need to call as my cancellation has already been processed.

I believe I need to pay around £40 to cancel my multiroom early.

What do you guys think, take the 60% or hold out until it's cancelled?
    Same offer as I got.

I didn't take the 60% offer (online and via Sky remote) and allowed the service to be switched off.

That was last week.

Since then, online offer down to 50% but I'm in no hurry to resubscribe anyhow.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes I do have free line rental because that is the deal I agreed. I pay £7.50 for the unlimited broadband and get free line rental. It's the same deal I've had the last 2 years. The two are billed separately irrespective of any combined deals available. The line rental is usually £17.40 and the broadband is £7.50 (£10 if you don't have tv). My bill clearly states I pay £7.50 for broadband and have a £17.40 discount on line rental.

And there is nothing wrong with my maths. I was initially offered half price line rental (17.40\2=8.70) and either free broadband or fibre with a 7.50 discount (20-7.50=12.50).
    Therefore : broadband £0 + line rental £8.70= £8.70
    Or, Fibre £12.50 + line rental £8.70 = £21.20
    However, knowing I could get free line rental I declined and cancelled. Cancelled Monday night, rejoined Tuesday morning with the free line rental, so I can live with the minimal risk of being cut off early.

Sorry, I missed the fact that you didn't have their TV package, I guess their offers are different in that case.
  • cjsnorky
    cjsnorky Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Ongoing negotiation - but cancelled early Dec - TV went off on Monday (but still getting freeview channels :-) ). Offered 50% then 60% during cancellation period.

Went on retentions chat last night and asked for 75% off and £100 credit ... told that the offer had expired and the best they could do was 60%.

Wife and kids not happy - but I told Sky to drop me an email when the 75% / £100 offer is back on and I'll rejoin ... but until then, its 'goodbye'.

They didn't do anything much to try and keep me! Any ideas if/when the 75% offer will come back??
  • Liberty1577
    Options
    Sorry, I missed the fact that you didn't have their TV package, I guess their offers are different in that case.

No problem, I do actually have TV too, I just negotiate that separately. Complete package including HD for £20pm.
  • Terry_Elliott
    Options
    Thanks MSE, haggled with Sky on renewal deal (politely) and saved 30% package for TV, phone and broadband. Down from £52.40 to £34.50
  • MM2002
    MM2002 Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, just an update.
    Got on chat today as only had a few days before cutoff.drove as hard a bargain as poss, just for tv package(am about to start work on BB & Phone lol)
    wasnt a massive success, but got 60% off 12 month rolling contract on variety package so thats £12.80(downgraded from box sets and only hd we watch is bbc and itv- also they assured me if i did miss the 'box set channels' i can upgrade at any time with the 60% discount so an extra£2.40- £15.20 total)
    Pushed as hard as possible for a deal on multiroom but thay told me all deals for that stopped in november.
    i ended up taking the variety at £12.80, and multiroom at £12 as i can cancel either at any time, so when mutiroom deals start to show themselves on here ill haggle that one.(got a lot saved on both boxes i dont want to lose at this time!)
    I also pushed massively for account credit, but got nowhere. Was suprised at this to be honest.
    60% seems to be all they offer by scouring this forum, bar a few lucky people who must catch the team on a sunny day!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback