Dash cam - where to start

Options

Comments

• RichardD1970
    Options
    I was looking at, this one.

It's the one Techmoan is currently using.

Nice and unobtrusive, not too expensive (in fact about the same price as Strider590's SJ4000 ;)).

I don't want the faff of taking one in and out of the car every time, I just want to fit and forget.
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking at, this one.

Product Safety
    This product is subject to specific safety warnings
    Warning: Not suitable for children under 14 years. For use under adult supervision
    Warning: To be used under the direct supervision of an adult
    Warning: Protective equipment should be worn. Not to be used in traffic

Surprised at this:D
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Our local garage is doing one for £19.99.....:cool::D
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    So they don't cost a fortune then, unless you decide to spend a fortune?

The SJ4000 is not "fluffy bunny" or "does everything for you", you have to find your own way to mount it and get power to it (if desired), the expensive cams are "idiot proof" and that's why they're expensive.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    The SJ4000 is not "fluffy bunny" or "does everything for you", you have to find your own way to mount it and get power to it (if desired), the expensive cams are "idiot proof" and that's why they're expensive.

Even the cheap ones off eBay come with power leads and various mounts so fail to see your point.
  • jblessing
    jblessing Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most dashcams switch on/off with the engine, so would be of no use to you when you leave it parked up.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Off topic.
    I can just about understand a forward facing dash cam. :)
    What is law regarding a camera in the back window pointing straight at the following driver's face?
    Recently came up behind a car at traffic lights, I noticed a small sticker saying 'Smile you're being recorded', I eventually spotted the small camera mounted beside the high level brake light, angled towards a following driver.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spud17 wrote: »
    Off topic.
    I can just about understand a forward facing dash cam. :)
    What is law regarding a camera in the back window pointing straight at the following driver's face?
    In a public place (which would include roads) there is no restriction on taking photos or filming.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    After some !!!!!! hit my car and drove off leaving a load of damage to my car while parked in Sainsbury's I'm thinking of getting a dash cam but not a clue what to look for or how much I need to pay.

Help!

Be very careful when researching this - the majority of dashcams will only work when powered on ie. when you're in the car and moving. If you're parked at Sainbury's you will need something that also has battery power and senses motion nearby. Plus you will need one front and back if you want to cover yourself while parked.

Even then it won't see someone hit your door or run a trolley into your car from the side. Did you ask Sainsbury's if they have any cctv of the incident?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure