PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Kittie!
    You also reminded me about torches-think I'll get one in the car too
    :beer:
    :j
  • LB29
    LB29 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Julsifer- it'll be something far less and expensive than this once it's sorted out http://www.floating-shelves.com/radiator-shelves.html I've read that if the shelf is far enough above the radiator and the curtains sit onto it then it stops the heat going up the back of them. I should only need the one in the bedroom though. The rest of my curtains are long enough to tuck behind the radiators. I do think the roller blackout blinds make a massive difference.
    November GC-£128.30/£200
    SPC9-#538
  • we put rad shelves up in our last house and would have done so here, if we had rads. Very insulated here so we only have big bathroom rads, the ones in the bedrooms are very tiny and no rads in the living areas. They did work by throwing the warmth back into the room, also they looked nice. We got the ones that had a front on them and they did add nicely to the room decor

They looked like this, I cannot remember where we bought them
    https://www.amberradiatorcovers.co.uk/gallery-view/radiator-cabinet-satin-white/
  • julsifer
    julsifer Posts: 59 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2015 at 8:51AM
    LB&Kittie- hmm the radiator in my room has only an inch gap between it and the windowsill, maybe it would be worth me looking at getting a radiator cover? I'll deffo be getting a blind though

Going to do a food shop today and a batch cook this afternoon. I predict sleet, hail freezing temps but not much snow x
  • I think it's El Nino which will mean we should have a cold winter but don't hold me to that.:D I would quite like some snow as long as it doesn't drag on for too long.:)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I've kept my eye on reports on TV news and in newspapers. They are all saying the same thing with the latest being the Telegraph. El Nino could be the strongest since 1950 with predictions heading towards the winter of 2009/10. A report I watched by BBC weatherman Thomas S said the weather phenomenon could be the strongest it's been in decades.

All in all another worst winter prediction like we get every year but it seems to be gathering pace with met office pro's talking on TV about it. I guess we just prepare for the eventuality of cold temps and continued snow... like we always do ;)
  • The cold weather predictions seem to have a bit more credibility this time round and it's better to be safe and well-prepared than sorry. I would suffer if we had prolonged power cuts but other than that I think I would be able to cope, having spent many years living in rural Scotland, a couple of weeks' isolation is about par for the course. I am just off to Farmfoods to buy a few kilos of petit pois to dehydrate as I have insufficient freezer space, and they do come in useful in an emergency. I do remember the sea freezing over in '63 when I was a child but the funny thing is I don't remember it being cold!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • I think it's El Nino which will mean we should have a cold winter but don't hold me to that.:D I would quite like some snow as long as it doesn't drag on for too long.:)

I've also heard the El Nino reports and having shivered my way through the last bad one with no heating will not be caught out again!
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • Have been lurking for a while - all going well until I have discovered that I need new wellies! Have a budget of £30 ish which I don't mind spending if decent quality. Any recommendations ?
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have some that I think cost about £7 from @sda :o

They've been used in all weather plus for camping and even been in the washing machine and look brand new.

I don't think it necessary to spend too much on wellies unless there is a particularly pricey brand you want.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport