Inheritance surprises

2»

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The 1/3 suggests there is another sibling.

It does, but as the OP does not seem bothered about answering answering any questions We may never know.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    The 1/3 suggests there is another sibling.
    A sibling died 20 years ago.
    But the OP says someone - and we don't know who - has advised them that the husband of the deceased sibling is entitled to 1/3.

If that sibling died before the will was written, it would explain why the OP and her sister are the only 2 beneficiaries - especially if there are no surviving children from the deceased sibling.
    Maybe the husband is just trying it on and it's he who says he has 1/3 share.
    It does, but as the OP does not seem bothered about answering answering any questions We may never know.

To be fair to the OP, she only posted yesterday at 11:01 so it's a bit harsh to say she's not bothered about answering questions at this stage.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

Blimey, give them a chance. You didn't even give them 24 hours.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Seems clear to me, 3 sisters originally, 1 sister died 20 years ago, two sisters still living, the OP being one of them.
  • Seems clear to me, 3 sisters originally, 1 sister died 20 years ago, two sisters still living, the OP being one of them.

Bit's in bold seem to confirm that.
    My mother has recently passed and left my sister and myself beneficieries of her house. We had agreed between us that I would buy my sisters half and move into the property. However, our sister died 20 years ago
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tallyboo wrote: »
    However, our sister died 20 years ago, her husband had since remarried twice over. We have been advised that he is entitled to a third of the estate although only myself and my sister are named on the will.
    Exactly what does the will say?

What the will says is vital.

Our wills have specific clauses saying what will happen to the share left to any of our children who predecease us.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    "We have been advised that he is entitled to a third of the estate although only myself and my sister are named on the will."

If the only named beneficiaries are the OP and her sister, then the presence of the widower of a third deceased sister is irrelevant. But as others are saying, without clarification from the OP this is a pretty futile discussion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure