Quick question about sky.

Options
Hi all,

I have sky (TV/BB/Phone), but need to reduce the cost. I only really need the internet and basic TV as I don't watch much TV.

If I completely cancel sky altogether and go to another internet provider, can I still watch the basic TV channels through the sky box and record channels 1-5 (if I needed to).

I'm going to call and cancel today, if they offer me a significant discount which is near enough the same as another internet provider then I will stick with them. If not, then I'm moving on...and need to find the best internet provider for me.

Thanks
:beer:
"The future needs a big kiss"

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you switch you TV (or cancel your Sky TV) you will lose the recording function of your box along with any recorded programmes at the end of your 31 day notice period. I'm sure someone said on here you can pay a low fee per month to keep the recording function...

Call & cancel, but dont accept what they give you over the phone. I cancelled & was offered 30% off per month for 6 months to stay & by waiting it out I was offered 60% off each month for 12 months....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • typeractive
    Options
    Thanks. I initially rang up a while ago and they offered to cut the existing bill down by almost 20%, I never confirmed with it though.

I need to see what the cheapest broadband deals are out there to see what I can negotiate with.
  • typeractive
    Options
    I've just called to cancel. The deals the nice lad tried to offer just didn't drop enough - he was trying to be helpful by the sounds of it, approx 35% off, equating to £33.79 but I need to get it down cheaper than that. I'm not too fussed about the TV so might need to go to a separate internet provider.

If they come back with another offer, where would I see it? Will it be an email?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Small fee?You will have to pay £120pa to keep the recording function. If you still want the PVR facilities, then it's much better to buy a Humax Freesat box outright for no ongoing cost, This is a straight box swap-same dish, LNB and cabling. The channel line up is near identical to Freesat from Sky.
    Pointless to pay for subscription TV if you only watch Channels 1-5.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • typeractive
    Options
    Thanks macman. I'm not fussed about the recording feature.
    If I go for the humax freesat, do you know if it has an RF2 out? Also, will a magic eye work on it? I have a few magic eyes in the house - handy to change the TV channel (1-5 lol) when I'm in the kitchen/bedroom etc (well more so the other half). That's why I'd keep the sky box just for the convenience.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    you can pay a low fee per month to keep the recording function...
    Hardly a "low fee" and still an ongoing subscription.

I agree a Humax decoder is the way to go.. It has all the features of a Sky decoder and will work with a "Magic Eye" device. All it lacks are the subscription channels..
  • john_barlow
    Options
    Have you looked into NOW.tv
  • macman
    Options
    If you don't want the PVR functions, then just use the existing Sky box with the same viewing card. You'll just lose the subscription channels, and retain about 80 of the free to view ones. Including 1 to 5...
    Sky will of course have forgotten to mention this to you.
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hardly a "low fee" and still an ongoing subscription.

I agree a Humax decoder is the way to go.. It has all the features of a Sky decoder and will work with a "Magic Eye" device. All it lacks are the subscription channels..

OP asked: "do you know if it has an RF2 out?" and I'm pretty sure it doesn't
  • macman
    Options
    Since the OP has subsequently said that they don't want PVR facilities, there is now no point in buying any new equipment-simply unsubscribe and use Freesat from Sky at no cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport