Affiliate your website... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    save-a-lot wrote: »
    If you are seeing no success with your own website just use www.quidco.com as they give back 100% of the commission earned... and becuase they are top tier affiliates due to the volume they push through, you'd earn more using them.

But that's not exactly earning money is it? Yes you get money back, but you have to spend a lot more then you get back. You can look at it as earning the cashback, or as just getting the things you buy at a cheaper price, but I don't think it's really earning money.

Apart from that you don't always get your money with quidco, or any other cashback site. Just look at the quidco complaints threads.
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But that's not exactly earning money is it? Yes you get money back, but you have to spend a lot more then you get back. You can look at it as earning the cashback, or as just getting the things you buy at a cheaper price, but I don't think it's really earning money.

Apart from that you don't always get your money with quidco, or any other cashback site. Just look at the quidco complaints threads.

I was answering the specific post by lillyofthevalley hense the quote, not advising the thread to use quidco rather than affiliating their websites. lillyofthevalley will make lowest tier affiliate commission if they make no sales via people landing at their site, the only commission earned is their own purchases, they would be better off using quidco for the top tier commission that quidco earn that is passed back as cashback.

Well, as an affiliate you are not guaranteed to get your commission either. The reason being cashback sites and regular sites with affiliated content use the same affiliate networks, the same reporting etc, the difference is that a cashback site will have a tracking bit of code in the referral URL and this places an identifier in the commission tables at the affiliate network's site that uniquely identify a users purchases. I know this since I have a cashback site myself, plus I use tracking for other reasons on other sites.
  • gustav
    gustav Posts: 243 Forumite
    montiuk wrote: »
    with my last website using adsense i was making around $10 per day ... for this i was only averaging about 150 visits per day.

You were making $10 per day from 150 visits?????

You have to tell us what sort of content was on the page...!

If I had a conversion rate like that i'd be living in Marbella!!:T
    I know nothing - really!!
  • gustav wrote: »
    You were making $10 per day from 150 visits?????

You have to tell us what sort of content was on the page...!

If I had a conversion rate like that i'd be living in Marbella!!:T

The kind of content that makes people want to leave the site!

If you think about it, people use the adsense links because the site they are on does not have what they are looking for and the link looks as if it might.

We, people who have a web site with adsense ads on it, may see adsense as a money makers, but visitors see it as a way off the site and on to the next one.
  • gustav
    gustav Posts: 243 Forumite
    No.
    I really want montiuk to confirm that he was getting only 150 visits per day and nearly 4p for each of those visit, which is what he is claiming.
    I know nothing - really!!
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gustav wrote: »
    No.
    I really want montiuk to confirm that he was getting only 150 visits per day and nearly 4p for each of those visit, which is what he is claiming.

Easily possible, depends on the content of his site as to what adsense ads are showing. If his site is fianace/insurance or mobile phone based (or in any market where there is alot of competition) $10/day would be achieved on that level of traffic for example.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gustav wrote: »
    No.

It doesn't work quite like that. The amount you get per click can vary greatly, depending on what the advertiser was willing to pay and what the subject of the ad is.

I have a travel related site and I get clicks that pay anything between 50c and $1.50c. Other sites only get 3c to $1 per click.

If the OP has a high paying subject for his site then they could be getting over $2 per click which would mean only around 10 visitors would need to click the ads to earn £10 per day.
  • A friend and i are going to be setting up a web site soon and we would like to earn money from it are there any suggestions from you lovely peps?:D Im sure i saw a post somewhere on here saying that companies will pay you to advertise-i may have been dreaming tho???:rolleyes:
    Thanks! x
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi LauraLooDFWB

We have an official MSE thread going about making money from websites. Please read from the top for more replies :)
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • montiuk wrote: »
    hello stressers i currently have just a hobby site that i have started. If you use google adsense you can make good money or with affiliate programs like affiliatewindow.com or co.uk i fink dont know which one or commission junctions. with my last website using adsense i was making around $10 per day which you may not think is much but times by 30 is $300 works out just over £150 a month which is still small but it still helps and you dont need alot of traffic for this i was only averaging about 150 visits per day.

$10 per day is grooving! That conversion rate is ridiculously high though.
    The no1 key to fortune off Adsense is traffic and usually the only way to get it is lots of quality content to bring them in.
    I get around 300 visits per day and am lucky if I get $5 per day! However it is on the increase though (cause I've got another website up and running).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure