Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The lack of DD as a payment method actually puts me off - my bills account doesn't have a debit card and I'm no fan of Continuous Payment Authorities :(

Also, the text on the website :
    We can identify and solve problems faster than by direct debit as we don’t have to wait weeks for the bank to notify us of a failed payment.

Is grossly inaccurate. BACS provide ARUDD reports one working day after the payment date; hardly "weeks".
  • Will_at_Bulb
    Will_at_Bulb Posts: 60 Organisation Representative
    Hi Hazzanet,

Thanks for your post. It's really important to us to get feedback like this and make use of it. So this is very useful for us.

We can actually take direct debits. We prefer debit card payments, but we realise and respect that some people prefer direct debits. If you'd like to set it up with direct debit, just give us a ring and we'll be happy to get that set up for you.

We always aim to be clear, accurate and plain in our communications. In the text that you mentioned however, it looks like we may have oversimplified in our attempts to make the message accessible to those who don't know what an ARUDD flow is.

The scenario we had in mind when describing it was when a payment fails, retries fail and we need to set up a new payment method. The process there is:
    Day 0 - attempted payment collection
    Day 1 - ARUDD 0 flow received to notify of payment failure
    Day 1 - We contact the member to understand why it failed
    Day 4 - We retry 3-4 days after payment failure
    Day 5 - We are notified that the retry failed
    Day 5 - Contact member and set up a new direct debit mandate
    Day 11 - Payment is collected against the new mandate

So our total time to resolution can be up to 11 working days, which is over two calendar weeks. Or more if we retry additional times. But as you correctly pointed out, this is to resolution, not notification, as the current text implies. I'll take a look at it asap to make sure it's clearer.

On the flip side, with debit card payments notification of failure and retries are both near instant. The setup of new card takes 15 minutes and allows payments to be taken immediately. And have the added benefit of not resulting in fines by the member's bank for insufficient funds. This is why we believe that debit card payments are better.

Thanks for pointing it out. Genuinely.

Cheers,

Will
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
  • Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi Will

Thanks for the comprehensive and well reasoned response - that makes sense when you put in context of resolution rather than notification.

I'll take a closer look at the pricing and compare it against my current suppliers. If the numbers work out, I may be giving you a call to discuss DD setup.

:)
  • Will_at_Bulb
    You're very welcome. Always happy to go into anything in more detail :)

Sounds great. We'll be waiting by the phone.
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
  • Hi all, I've just hit the sign up button to Join Bulb via the MSE collective Sept16 ....I'll let you know how I get on... I'm expecting great service from reading here and its your positive comments that tipped the balance for me :jso thanks for those who have contributed so far ...

PS Will any chance of some hotel chocolate chocs ?
  • Will_at_Bulb
    Nice one SwannyP Great to have you with us.

Since you asked so nicely, I'll see what we can do... :)
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've just signed up with Bulb today, I hope they don't go disappointing me after all the great feedback! ;)
  • Will_at_Bulb
    We'll do our best :)
  • Signed up on Monday 14th November had an an e-mail today telling me they are hiking their prices next month 12 days after my service moves.

The increase means they are no longer competitive shame as I liked the renewable element. will stick to fixed deals in future less hassle as i only have to go through this exercise once a year.

Poor show and a waste of 1 hour of my time as I have had to cancel and go elsewhere.

I just home that nothing now goes wrong with the switch, just glad I was still in the cooling off period.:(:(:(
  • Will_at_Bulb
    Unfortunately wholesale prices have gone up 24% in the last few months which has forced us to increase our prices. We'll drop them again as soon as wholesale energy allows. I'm sorry that it was so close to joining for you, I know that's especially frustrating.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback