Water Bills questions and comment

Comments

• I have a question If I may :)

I have a credit on my southern water bill of £182.58 this is due to the fact they are satisfied that no surface water from our house goes into the public sewage system.

They have adjusted this from April 2010 should they therefore give me a refund or will they adjust it on the next bill.

Many thanks
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    beauty1307 wrote: »
    I have a question If I may :)

I have a credit on my southern water bill of £182.58 this is due to the fact they are satisfied that no surface water from our house goes into the public sewage system.

They have adjusted this from April 2010 should they therefore give me a refund or will they adjust it on the next bill.

Many thanks

They will normally adjust on next bill. However if you request a refund they will normally comply
  • Cardew wrote: »
    They will normally adjust on next bill. However if you request a refund they will normally comply

Many thanks Cardew for your response :)
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    I will add a bit to Cardews post, if you are on a meter and your bill is due soon then they might NOT refund until that has been invoiced. Some companies can not ( the way their system works) issue a refund the month before the next bill is due and no amount of calls will help as they don't have the ablility to do anything for you.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Hi, I have a few questions - I've been looking through this and a few other threads but can't see the answers.

When I moved into this property (rented and unmetered) Thames Water had posted a letter through about phoning for connection which I did and they sent me a '6 monthly' bill for 120 which I paid as I was told I had to. I then asked for the next to be monthly as I don't have that lump sum, and I started paying direct debit.

I've now realised I pay 34 a month, which is approaching double what the first bill was - can that be correct? Is there any way of reducing this except on a meter (as I'm renting I can't change things like that, and I wouldn't want t install a meter and have a worse shock either). Also, is Thames Water the only person who can supply my water? ie not like electric and gas where you can shop around?

There is just me and my two children and we don't use a large amount of water (washing machine maybe 4 times a week, I shower every other day, and they bath every other day and together.) No watering a garden, or washing a car.
  • Gothicfairy
    If you are on a RV rate of charge then no, there is no way to reduce that figure.

As far as I am aware TW do 8 installements for RV bills over the year. To start in April and finish way before the next one is due, it helps to make sure they are clear each year and reduced debtor days.
    so if that is the case 8 * 34 - £272 which is an ok RV for a year.
    Your £120 is not that far off really as I am quessing it was not for the full 6 months or that it was another years charges and the bill amount has risen since then.

Saying all that it does though depend, as you might be on assessed charges and that would be based on the property as a meter could not be fitted.

You can not change supplier at all.

You need to look at the bill and see what the charge is for.

Robert Service
  • United Utilities non metered bill for 2010-2011 is around £400.
    Fitting a meter works out cheaper if you don't use much water. However, if you live alone and are not on a meter you can get a Lone Occupier discount , this works out for 2011 at $244.00.
    A saving of around £160.00 in your sky rocket !
  • Gothicfairy
    not all water companies have a single occupier/ lone occupier tariff yet so you need to check with your company. Also you HAVE to apply for a meter and be turned down by the water company before you can apply for any assessed charges.

Robert Service
  • Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

Why does it take longer?

When you have less hot water from a combi, doesn't it save money?

I can understand your annoyance at low water pressure, but not the extra cost.

The low water pressure obviously means that the water doesn't come out of the shower as quick and therefore we take longer in the shower, which will cost us more money ...... combi or not, the water pressure being lower means more water to be used for showering .....
  • shy2011
    shy2011 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Hi There Questions about water?
    I moved in to a 2 bed terrace in July 2010 i rent the house. Just me living there and i received a bill from Northumbrian Water stating that the Anual fixed charge is £280 ish. I rang them and arranged to pay via direct debit. She said my payments would be £42 a month which i didnt question at the time. Im now wondering if the fixed charge is as above why am i paying near on £400? She did mention that my payment would decrease at some point but ive heard nothing from them? Any ideas? Ive no clue on how this works?
    Thanks in Advance
    LBM 11/10
    Debt @ LBM £16452 :(
    Debt Now £9662 :eek:
    2011 My Year :j

41% PAID
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts