Money from sale of a house

2»

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Welshy16 wrote: »
    Evening all. our sale of our house is due to go through soon leaving us with around £120k.

We have a mortgage on a new property of £228k on a 2 year fix from October paying 1.4% interest. I can overpay by 10% of loan amount per year.

What was your thinking at the time?

Why not simply borrow less over a shorter term.
  • wheelz
    wheelz Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why would you want to have debts (the mortgage). Why not pay the new house off as far as you can with the money and pay less on your mortgage?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    wheelz wrote: »
    Why would you want to have debts (the mortgage). Why not pay the new house off as far as you can with the money and pay less on your mortgage?

Because, financially, that might not be the best use of OP's money. Though to some people, the psychological benefit of having a much smaller mortgage, outweighs the straight financial benefit comparison.
  • thanks for all of your replies. The sale of the house goes through tomorrow and i'm still none the wiser.

My immediate thoughts are to put 60k each in an 18 months fixed term bond at 1.87%. This will tie us over until the 2 year fix comes to an end then we can decide on where we go next with the mortgage we currently have.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think you need to sit down and really consider what you are doing with your lives, what you are going to do with your lives (as much as can be reasonably defined). You really haven't given much to go on wrt what your thoughts or plans are.

Lets take pensions as an example, you've sort of dismissed this as you are both on reasonable pension plans (compared with minimum DC plans for example) but, have you thought about the implications of retiring early or are you both happy to work through to 65 (or whatever it is or maybe in the future)?

So, if you thought maybe I really cannot see myself sat at this desk until 65 then, putting money in to a SIPP (for example) would allow you to draw on that money from age 55 (currently). I know you are able in the NHS/CS to draw pensions early but there will be a reasonable sized deduction in the pension to do this.

Do you have kids; do you plan to have kids?

What is the type and state of the property you have purchased; might you need to do some remedial work to it; might you want to extend/building work?

What is your mortgage LTV ratio? Could you plan to pay off some capital (after any tie in period) so as to get you to a lower LTV ratio and therefore lower IR?

Soooo many questions, so few answers :D
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • kcam
    kcam Posts: 7 Forumite
    Please can I just ask why Premium Bonds? I also have some money to invest. Thanks
  • kcam
    kcam Posts: 7 Forumite
    Well you are in a v nice position there for relatively young people, so good luck, well done - make sure you enjoy some of it without worrying too much about the long term stuff - great advice on here but have some fun too, life is short!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure