Running costs for an aga

Comments

• !t seems clear enough to me. 32kw was used to cook a standard menu over the period of a week. If you want the figure in kwh, divide 32 by 168.
    Cardew covered it, but more succinctly, the Watt is a not a unit of energy, it's a unit of power.
  • ebee01
    ebee01 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Whitehouse 35 was asking about the running costs of an AGA, why are you trying to turn this into a class war?

Friends of mine have had AGA's in remote parts of Scotland as they couldn't get natural gas and having used an AGA in their homes, I have to say, nothing compares to the sublime quality of food cooked on an AGA.

No modern oven cooks quite like them, so stop being grumpy and stating this is a lifestyle statement. Makes you sound like an inverted snob!

I am looking at AGA's at the moment and am also interested to know about the running costs, from the point of view of having an inefficient boiler and wanting scrumptious meals! If I all that I can manage is a dual fuel AGA, then I may as well have a cheaper cooker that will presumably do the same job.
  • ebee01
    ebee01 Posts: 4 Newbie
    It appears that your electricity costs have gone up by £23 per month, whilst your gas bill has come down by £15 per month possibly making you worse off by £8 a month, but seemingly warmer and more comfortable in your home. :D
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    ebee01 wrote: »
    Whitehouse 35 was asking about the running costs of an AGA, why are you trying to turn this into a class war?

Friends of mine have had AGA's in remote parts of Scotland as they couldn't get natural gas and having used an AGA in their homes, I have to say, nothing compares to the sublime quality of food cooked on an AGA.

No modern oven cooks quite like them, so stop being grumpy and stating this is a lifestyle statement. Makes you sound like an inverted snob!

I am looking at AGA's at the moment and am also interested to know about the running costs, from the point of view of having an inefficient boiler and wanting scrumptious meals! If I all that I can manage is a dual fuel AGA, then I may as well have a cheaper cooker that will presumably do the same job.

This is a money saving website and it is valid to point out that an AGA is very expensive to run - even in winter. To have it on during the summer compounds this problem.

Agreed they look nice, particularly in a suitable kitchen.

As for 'sublime' and 'scrumptious' meals, I suggest it is just the convenient 'slow cook' facility that is the attraction. This can be easily achieved with modern facilities without the need for high purchase and running costs.
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2016 at 11:18AM
    reeac wrote: »
    So much, then, for the cosy AGA kitchen image. Glad I never bought into it.

That would be 1200w of heat constantly applied to the kitchen. Anyone who has actually had, or even visited a home with an aga installed will know that they do heat the room noticably, despite what some may be trying to tell you.

A rayburn will also provide central heating whilst it's running
  • Sorry to resurrect an old thread but there wasn't too much concrete on here from electric owners.

I have a 13amp converted aga that runs plugged in to a socket and so I am able to measure electric consumption. I cook at the very least 2 out of 3 meals a day on the aga and boil a lot of kettles as I work from home.

It uses around 200 kwh's a week and costs roughly £20 however in the summer it goes down to slumber at night and for a period in the day and costs more like £15. Not cheap however we live in a small cottage and the aga and a woodburner for when it really is bitter out are our only source of heating now.

In the right setting and if you use it to its full potential, ie as a kettle, toaster and clothes dryer too it wont be any more expensive than being stuck with storage heaters and a conventional cooker as we were previously. I know which set up I would rather have :)

Thanks
  • Our mains gas 2 over Power Flue arrives on Monday :D
  • jinkster wrote: »
    Our mains gas 2 over Power Flue arrives on Monday :D

Just hope that the Russians open the gas valve a bit more...........
    :D:D
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jinkster wrote: »
    Our mains gas 2 over Power Flue arrives on Monday :D

We considered one of those but my wife's cousin has one and the fanned flue is really noisy compared to a conventional AGA.
  • Oh dear! Why do AGAs raise peoples heckles so :)

We have a 3 oven fanned gas version. Had to have this due to its location. There is a slight hum all the time but you soon get used to it. The AGA is just breathing :) I miss it when it is off for any reason.

We have had it for 5 years and was initially worried about the high running cost people told us about.

In an exposed 2 bed stone cottage 1000 feet above sea level (always cold and windy) our gas bill for the year runs out at £97 a month with £40 electric. We also have gas CH with thermostatic valves throughout.
    We also have a multi burner solid fuel stove in the lounge. Now that used to cost us about £350+ a year for fuel (that was 5 years ago) , supplemented by free wood offcuts - pre the AGA being installed. It kept the lounge and front bedroom lovely and warm but the kitchen, back bedroom and the bathroom were always arctic, despite the gas CH.

In my opinion, getting the AGA is the best thing we ever did.

Downsides are an annual service which is about £120 and it can get pretty warm in Summer ... mind you, where we are that is not that often so I prefer to keep the AGA on and open the top of the door for a bit.

On the upside ....
    The whole house is always toasty warm and dry (used to have massive condensation issues)
    Washing dries overnight - no expensive tumble dryer
    Dries wet coats/boots when you come in dripping wet
    No waiting for an oven to heat up. Always on, just stick in a part baked baguette with no feeling of guilt.
    We now use £50 a year at the most of solid fuel, as very rarely need to light the woodburner stove. Now just a back up on REALLY cold nights if we want to snuggle in front of a glow. (Also get free offcuts from a local kitchen fitter and these supplement the solid fuel on the nights it is lit.)
    Love cooking on the AGA ... so much more relaxed.
    Visitors love it. Everyone heads straight for the AGA when they come in.
    It looks lovely. I talk to it sometimes.
    It really does make a house a home, especially as we are retired and in during the day most days.

Yeah yeah! I hear all the "lifestyle" comments and maybe it is. It is a lifestyle I love and I am not a posh person or particularly loaded. Just love my little home and my AGA and being comfortable.

Hope that may help someone who is wondering what to do and being scared off by the anti AGA brigade. We are all entitled to our own opinion. :beer:
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport