Time taken for defaults to clear

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy our first home. She has a few defaults and a CCJ on her credit file, which she will be paying off in the next couple of weeks.

How long do they take to be removed from your file and how soon will we be able to apply for mortgages?

Many thanks

Comments

• 6 years from the default/CCJ being applied.

You can apply for a mortgage whenever you want, but it would be wise to see a broker to understand what your options, if any, may be based on your credit files.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Unfortunately paying off a default or a county court judgement, does not remove them from your credit file.

They will still be there for the full 6 years regardless of what you do.

Hopefully these will not be recent additions to her credit file.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I’m in a similar boat, should be able to get a mortgage assuming they’re not really recent, but you’ll need a 15% deposit if my experience is anything to go by and the rate may be 1.5-2% higher I suspect.
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Unfortunately paying off a default or a county court judgement, does not remove them from your credit file.

They will still be there for the full 6 years regardless of what you do.

Hopefully these will not be recent additions to her credit file.

Aren't CCJ's removed if paid in full within a month of issue?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure