New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..

Options

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    This is the Highway Code. That sign is not there.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/57f76409ed915d06fd000027/the-highway-code-traffic-signs.pdf

regardless I dont see why it matters given that, as I said, I'm well aware of going in lower gears when going up a hill...

So you still don't know what the sign says, a sign you need to know to pass your theory test and so you drive to the roads condition correctly as sadly some people don't know how to use gears.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Clue: The sign tells you which direction the hill is. Now, why do you think I might have shown you that to explain what engine braking is?
    If youre trying to tell me to go in lower gears down hill, yes, I know that, how many times do I have to say this?
    if you go in a lower gear down a hill it limits how fast you go and stops you from naturally accelerating from gravity and momentum...
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    If youre trying to tell me to go in lower gears down hill, yes, I know that, how many times do I have to say this?

Well, up until now, you've been saying UP...
    if you go in a lower gear down a hill it limits how fast you go and stops you from naturally accelerating from gravity and momentum...
    Yep. Congratulations. That's engine braking. It slows you down on the flat, too.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    You've just confirmed that you don't know what the sign above means by saying you go up hill in a low gear! Which again confirms you don't know you're highway code.

That sign is not in the HC!
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    That sign is not in the HC!
    <gently points upwards to post 81>
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Drivers are still taught to slow down using gears, but are now taught its okay to skip gears as you go down. When you slow down using the brake you brake until the clutch needs to to down then change gear, otherwise you are coasting which definitely shouldn't be taught by instructors. Coasting should lead to minors on the practical test.

If you mean "changing down through the gears" it is not taught by any competent.instructor.

At least 40 years ago the police realised that this was superfluous with modern cars, and that it is much cheaper to replace brakes than clutches and gearboxes. Police methods quickly became mainstream, and recommended by DVSA etc.

The correct technique is to slow down to the desired speed using the brakes as necessary, and then to change into the appropriate gear.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    If you mean "changing down through the gears" it is not taught by any competent.instructor.

At least 40 years ago the police realised that this was superfluous with modern cars, and that it is much cheaper to replace brakes than clutches and gearboxes. Police methods quickly became mainstream, and recommended by DVSA etc.

The correct technique is to slow down to the desired speed using the brakes as necessary, and then to change into the appropriate gear.

Regardless, that's moot considering our mate with the pram says that they decelerate using the brakes with the clutch also depressed, thereby negating any engine braking effect.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Regardless, that's moot considering our mate with the pram says that they decelerate using the brakes with the clutch also depressed, thereby negating any engine braking effect.
    Even more worrying, they always have either the accelerator or the clutch depressed, apparently.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Even more worrying, they always have either the accelerator or the clutch depressed, apparently.

Mm, yes - I forgot that little gem.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    I wonder if their Yaris has rear brakes? It's not quite the usual pattern...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure