Curry's and sale of goods act - help!

Hi,

I bought a Hoover washing machine from Currys 19 months ago for £260. A couple of weeks ago it started making a burning smell and hubby has had the motor out and tells me that two of the communators have broken off.

I have lodged a claim through Sale of Goods Act, but they are saying that I have to pay £119 for an engineer to visit which they will then refund if the engineer deems it to be a manufacturing fault.

Does this sounds right?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes that's right after 6 months its up to you to proof via an independent engineers report .
  • But surely the engineer they send is not going to be independent?
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As it after six months it would be up to you to prove it is inherently faulty from date of purchase, you can always find yourself an independent engineer to do the report, so could be cheaper, if the fault is found to be inherently faulty the Currys would refund the cost of that report
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 6:41PM
    wogglesmum wrote: »
    But surely the engineer they send is not going to be independent?

Your choice and you may find that << burning smell and hubby has had the motor out >>>
    Could and i say could possibly invalidate any claim .So don't say that its been stripped down .
  • Yes I'd already considered that! He was trying to help!
  • will hubbys having the back off and tinkering not have an effect on this?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    will hubbys having the back off and tinkering not have an effect on this?

You seem to be saying the same as JJ Egan in post #5 but over 2 hours later.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    You seem to be saying the same as JJ Egan in post #5 but over 2 hours later.

maybe i did'nt read the whole thread, does it really matter so much that you felt the need to say something. i note that you have not responded to the ops thread at all so i will take your reply to me as a kind of trollish act.

have a nice day.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    maybe i did'nt read the whole thread, does it really matter so much that you felt the need to say something. i note that you have not responded to the ops thread at all so i will take your reply to me as a kind of trollish act.

have a nice day.

There was no need for me to respond to the OP as the answers were already given, so anything I said would simply be an unnecessary duplication, which is what your response was.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 2:15PM
    wogglesmum wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a Hoover washing machine from Currys 19 months ago for £260. A couple of weeks ago it started making a burning smell and hubby has had the motor out and tells me that two of the communators have broken off.

I have lodged a claim through Sale of Goods Act, but they are saying that I have to pay £119 for an engineer to visit which they will then refund if the engineer deems it to be a manufacturing fault.

Does this sounds right?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
    If "hubby" can get the motor out then it should be pretty easy (and inexpensive) for him to replace the carbon brushes which I believe is what he means, rather than the commutator itself.

Plenty of youtube videos to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport