50 minutes for a 10k (21 years old)

I did a 10k in 50 minutes the other day. The 10k was on roads and fields and had a few hills in it. I just want to know if this is a fairly decent time for a 10k?

https://www.strava.com/activities/733329953

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It sounds pretty good to me but I am no expert, and it is a long time since I was 21!!!
    I am sticking with 5k parkruns at the moment but the range for completion there is 16 mins through to 55 mins so 25 mins sounds good.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 883 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are you male or female?

If you are male then that would give you a WAVA score of 53.91% if you are female 60.67%. WAVA is calculated as a percentage of the best time for someone your age and sex has run so allows you to compare across age and gender.

HTH.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    A good calculator for age grade scores is http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/age-grade-calculator
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    How often do you run? I think my first ever 10km was about 57 munutes. After about 8 months doing one or two runs week i had it down to 45minutes. Overall id say 50 minutes is pretty good.
  • SG27 wrote: »
    How often do you run? I think my first ever 10km was about 57 munutes. After about 8 months doing one or two runs week i had it down to 45minutes. Overall id say 50 minutes is pretty good.

That was only my second 10k I had ever done. I really want to go to a track and do a 10k round a running track. Wow, 45 minutes that is really good :)
  • indesisiv
    edited 10 October 2016 at 9:54PM
    That was only my second 10k I had ever done. I really want to go to a track and do a 10k round a running track. Wow, 45 minutes that is really good :)

Wow, 10k round a track takes some concentration.

Do you have a local track? Find out which clubs train there or if you can just drop down. Then go do it.

One of our local clubs regularly hosts races on their track, not sure how you qualify for the races I'll be honest. But I did notice that they held an invitational event the other week with limited places for "amateurs" to enter.
  • The big 10k milestones for runners are sub 60mins for a beginner, sub 40min for a good club runner and sub 35 national standard and under 30 you will probably be running internationally.

I wouldnt worry about if its agood time or not and instead focus on the journey, the process and pushing yourself.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    1393jason wrote: »
    The big 10k milestones for runners are sub 60mins for a beginner, sub 40min for a good club runner and sub 35 national standard and under 30 you will probably be running internationally.

I wouldnt worry about if its agood time or not and instead focus on the journey, the process and pushing yourself.

Back in the eighties, I could do 16m 50s for 5000 metres on a track, 35m 24s 10000 and 10 miles on the road regularly under 60 minutes.
    I was nowhere near national standard and I didn't belong to a club or train specifically for running;).
  • indesisiv
    edited 11 October 2016 at 2:26PM
    andygb wrote: »
    Back in the eighties, I could do 16m 50s for 5000 metres on a track, 35m 24s 10000 and 10 miles on the road regularly under 60 minutes.
    I was nowhere near national standard and I didn't belong to a club or train specifically for running;).

16:50 would get you in the top 2 or 3 of a local race.
    Just looking at a 5k that i know had a fairly good field (Doncaster 5k) that would have put you 33rd.
    For me thats a bloody good time though much faster than I could dream of going.

Its a cracking pace.

5k's are a lot more popular than they used to be with the invent of parkrun's where people can go out and practice racing.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    indesisiv wrote: »
    16:50 would get you in the top 2 or 3 of a local race.
    Just looking at a 5k that i know had a fairly good field (Doncaster 5k) that would have put you 33rd.
    For me thats a bloody good time though much faster than I could dream of going.

Its a cracking pace.

5k's are a lot more popular than they used to be with the invent of parkrun's where people can go out and practice racing.

Thanks, I did the 5K and 10K on a local cinder track. The 10 mile runs were on a couple of local cycle race 10 mile time trial courses on A roads, so they were accurate distances.
    The race practice is one of the things which would have helped me, but I was using the running to help my general fitness for county league badminton, which it did.
    To get quicker at distance running, you don't just run further in training, you have to combine the miles with serious interval/sprint training.
    For example, go and warm up for ten minutes, then do five 20 second, flat out sprints with a ninety second recovery period in between. Then do a five minute easy jog and try doing the intervals again.
    Although a beginner will get gradually faster by getting the body used to running.
    The other important thing for any athlete/fun runner to remember, is to warm up before exercise and cool down and stretch after exercise.
    Dynamic stretching before - lunges, start jumps, arm whirls, knee lifts - this warms up the body in readiness for exercise.
    Static stretching after - quads, hams, calves, obliques - this stretches out the muscles after exercise, helping to dissipate lactic acid, thus reducing the risk of DOMS - delayed onset of muscle soreness, which can occur 12 - 72 hours after exercise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure