article, all about

Working at the library

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions
Just click reply

Comments

• MushyPeas
    MushyPeas Posts: 3,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Does this mean working as a part-time librarian, or using the library as an office?
    Previous debt: £14K :embarasse Debt free: Sept '03 :DMFW#42 Mortgage OP savings £4271.18/£12000 2019 :)Started dating OH Mar '12, married Oct '12, Walnut born Dec ' 12 :A SPC 12: 99 £38.05/£500 Make money Jan: £412.34/£310 :T Feb: £88.79/£280 May: £215.52/£310 June: £18.98/£300
  • Browsing through the money making section, I came across the 'work in a library it's so peaceful and relaxed' idea. As a Chartered Librarian of 15 years I have to say this is a bit of an outdated idea - has anyone been in a library lately? Modern, successful libraries are busy, buzzing places and I can assure you that working in one is far from relaxing! It's a great job, one that I love and would certainly encourage others to do, but please don't go for a library job thinking it's a quiet wee job where you'll have time to kick back and read the books!
  • Seconded, I've been working in a library for 7 years and I'm on my way to becoming qualified, I love my job but its certainly not peaceful and relaxing I can assure you!

I'm not sure what other areas are like but in Tayside, library jobs are few and far between and any jobs that do appear tend to have very high application rates.
    [STRIKE]Student Loan = 798 @ Jan 2013 Target date to clear = 2013 DONE [/STRIKE]
    Mortgage= [STRIKE]38100 @ Feb 2013 Target date to clear = 2026[/STRIKE], 33044 @ April 2015, New target date = Jan 2025
    Credit card = 3300 @ April 2015 Target date to clear = April 2016

Debt free nerd no. 540. Proud to be dealing with my debts :)
  • Obviously it has been some time since you went into a library Martin. The library where I work has security guards and we have children excluded from school in all day using the internet to download !!!!!! (they manage to by-pass the blocks) and go onto chatrooms. We get called all sorts of names, are threatened, some staff have had their cars damaged,some are on drugs etc. We have had computers and money stolen,the toilets are left in an appalling condition - I could go on and on! It is certainly not a relaxed environment or "the perfect break from day-to-day stress" believe me!
  • Oh wendy that sounds awful, are you working in a public library per chance?

I heard a horrible story from a librarian in a not very nice area who had an air gun shoved in her face a couple of years ago. Thankfully I work in an academic library, the worst it generally gets is irate staff and students, I've only been yelled at a couple of times in 7 years.
    [STRIKE]Student Loan = 798 @ Jan 2013 Target date to clear = 2013 DONE [/STRIKE]
    Mortgage= [STRIKE]38100 @ Feb 2013 Target date to clear = 2026[/STRIKE], 33044 @ April 2015, New target date = Jan 2025
    Credit card = 3300 @ April 2015 Target date to clear = April 2016

Debt free nerd no. 540. Proud to be dealing with my debts :)
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I work in a small but busy public library. Very satisfying but hard work, deffinatley not quiet. Fortunatley had very little problems with bad behviour over the years.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Oh wendy that sounds awful, are you working in a public library per chance?

I heard a horrible story from a librarian in a not very nice area who had an air gun shoved in her face a couple of years ago. Thankfully I work in an academic library, the worst it generally gets is irate staff and students, I've only been yelled at a couple of times in 7 years.

Only yelled at a couple of times in 7 years - blimey I get shouted at more times in a day than that!! Yes it is a public library and we do get some lovely people in but unfortunately we are getting quite a lot that aren't.
  • I agree with all of the above. I'm a newly qualified librarian and am struggling to find a job, despite working as a library assistant for 4 years. I can't wait to get somewhere but it is challenging, and rewarding, work.
  • :eek: I love this site BUT I agree with other opinions posted here. I have worked in my local library for the last 8 years and it is NOT a quiet peaceful place! I love my job and most of the "Borrowers" or the "Great unwashed" as they are fondly known but don't ever think of it as a quiet relaxing job......it is very physically demanding moving stock around etc and emotionally when dealing with aggressive, rude and confrontational members of the public. And of course we have to make sure we are polite and welcoming at all times!! :mad: But it is so often a rewarding, interesting and challenging job and I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!:D
    :female:
  • SparkyG
    SparkyG Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    <<Many find working in this relaxed environment the perfect break from day-to-day stresses regardless of the extra cash. How much? Usually minimum wage... but it's so peaceful>>

Martin, Martin - Love you, love this site, but where on earth do your researchers get their information?:confused: 'Relaxed environment', 'so peaceful'? When was the last time you visited a busy town centre library?

No longer are libraries full of gentle little old ladies choosing their Mills and Boon or Catherine Cookson. Oh no, thanks partly to our wonderful government's initiative, we now have banks of public PC's which are supposedly for the great British public to have access to online information and education, but in reality are just there for kids to play PC games (while interacting very loudly with their mates), and for the local perverts to surf the soft !!!!!! sites. Oh yes, of course the staff on the minimun wage are expected to police these activites, with the occasional help of our local friendly PCSO's.

I have worked in our local library for the last 22 years, (ok, I'll admit I love it:D ), but it is exhausting, physically and mentally demanding work, where we have to be social workers, childminders, counsellors, mind readers, diplomats, and a 1001 other roles, not to mention the expectation of being experts on every subject under the sun:p

90% of our customers are wonderful, and that is what keeps us going, and makes the job so rewarding, but peaceful it ain't!!:rotfl:

SparkyG
    :beer: My glass is half full :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family