MoneySaving Poll: Should the UK leave the EU?

Options

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Not so - in EU context England and Scotland form part of the UK, it would have to leave/ remain as a whole.

Which is another reason why this poll is pointless ...

I think Heng Leng may be summarising the situation of a country with one EU stance but with a major division with a different one. In Denmark, its North American portion (Greenland) was allowed to negotiate non-membership while the European portion retained membership.

If the constitution makes this flexible response difficult, so much for the constitution. It may be a trigger for constitutional change.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • hallaway
    Options
    Why are you giving a profile to UKIP, which is a fascist, racist organisation claiming to be a political party? I'm disappointed and shocked at you, MSE.

Asking the poll is fine, but to give undeserved preference to UKIP over actual political parties is wrong. You should re-think this post.
  • General_query
    Options
    In your opinion
  • NafUk
    NafUk Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    UKIP a racist party!
    I see you have fallen for the false negative campaign of the legacy parties.
    UKIP want controlled immigration, just like the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc.
    If you have a problem with this please send monies to pay for the 4 million people who arrived here in the last 12 years.
    Do you not think if we had not taken Africa's medical staff (they have 1 doctor per 10,000 to 100,000 depending on country!) they may be better off e.g. Ebola, infant mortality etc. - we have 1 GP per 350-450 people.
    Want HS2? If yes, please send your money to pay for this 150 billion white elephant.
    We contribute 8 billion per year to the EU.
    We have a trade defect with the EU.
    Our major trading partners (with whom we have a trade surplus) are the USA, Australia and Switzerland.
    Governments do not trade; business's trade.
    We are the 2nd largest economy in the EU, and the 5 or 6th in the world.
    Want PFI (indirect privatisation of NHS), want charges to visit a GP, want the bedroom tax, want more toll roads, want to scrap pensioner bus passes, want no green belt, want no say in local matters, then vote for the legacy parties.
  • puwer98
    puwer98 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I voted out last time, and would vote same again this time, our present UK government will never give us the chance to vote on it
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Butter Mountains, Milk being poured down the gutters and not forgetting the fishing wars. Reason enough for me to want NOTHING to do with them and will be voting OUT! ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think we may be in danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater if we exit the EU.

How much consumer legislation has been forced on the UK government by the EU? - minimum wage, working time directive, financial compensation up to £85K, faster payments between banks, distance-selling regulations . . . to name but a few.

As soon as we exit the EU there will likely be a mad scramble to disenfranchise the consumer again under pressure from banks and business.

I think, as irritating as the EU can sometimes be, consumers and employees will be better off in than out.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It isn't realistic for only part of the UK to opt out of the EU.

Should there be an UK In/Out EU referendum - If Scotland votes to stay and England votes to leave then that would be a mandate for an immediate Scottish independence referendum.
    zagubov wrote: »
    I think Heng Leng may be summarising the situation of a country with one EU stance but with a major division with a different one. In Denmark, its North American portion (Greenland) was allowed to negotiate non-membership while the European portion retained membership.

If the constitution makes this flexible response difficult, so much for the constitution. It may be a trigger for constitutional change.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If there is a referendum, the question will likely be phrased so that Yes will be a vote to stay in the EU.
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    SW17 wrote: »
    If there is a referendum, the question will likely be phrased so that Yes will be a vote to stay in the EU.

If there is a referendum, the question will likely be phrased so that those doing the phrasing are most likely to get the answer they want.
    (And if that doesn't happen, there'll be another 're-negotiation' and another referendum. :()
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure