Rebuilding Garden Wall quotes on cost of bricks

Morning,

So I am going to try and get my garden wall rebuilt and I have had quite a few quotes however nearly all the labour seems to be the same so I am presuming that is the going rate. The one rate that does seem to vastly change is the cost of the bricks. The wall is just a plain standard wall with pillars nothing leaning or supporting on it and its not holding back anything just a simple divide between me and the neighbors.

The Garden wall is 180 cm high and straight and they reckon about 4000 bricks (most of the quotes agree).

My question is this how much does 1000 bricks of cost for a typical garden wall. I have had quotes for the bricks from £250 per 1000 to £550 per 1000 and would like some advice as I cannot see any reason why for a red brick short wall it should differ so much in price. (I have had 6 quotes in total and 2 are the £300 ish +/- 50 mark 2 for £400 ish +/-50 and two around £500 per 1000 bricks.

Thanks again

Ezekiel

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Not all bricks are equal. Go on some builders' merchant sites and check prices.

Some builders may give you cheap bricks in order to win the work on price, others may charge for expensive bricks, but make more profit by supplying cheap.

Decide [with advice] on the right brick. Ask all builders to requote on that brick.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Ezekieljm
    Ezekieljm Posts: 20 Forumite
    Ok on that same note. How much should labour cost to put up said wall per 1000 bricks (as before straight wall 180 cm high nothing special about it)

Thanks
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    all bricks are different. you can budget for 50p each on average.

total price for garden walls, 1 quid per brick is a pretty fair guide.
    Get some gorm.
  • I would say as a general rule, plain untextured bricks are the cheapest and around the £250 per 1000 region. If the bricks are multi-tonal or have a more complex texture then £550 per 1000 is about right. Maybe some builders are quoting for a very basic brick and others for a brick that closer matches the bricks of your property? Brick Hunter is a good website to look at ranges if that helps :)
  • Selco have some class B engineering bricks at 18p+VAT each, but probably not what you want to be looking at day in day out!
  • Suzy_M
    Suzy_M Posts: 777 Forumite
    Don't forget it's going to be exposed to the elements on both sides so unless you want to go through it all again in a few years you need to consider the quality and resilience of the bricks not just the price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure