Dispute With Virgin Media

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    love2learn wrote: »
    There is no legal terms and conditions to allow them to enforce a 12 month contract on me just for removing two services. I'm waiting on a manager clarifying it with their legal team. If they state the decision stands, I'll use the legal cover in my home insurance to challenge them.

Be interested to know on what grounds you would legally challenge them? If Virgin don't want to do businses with you, or do but with certain conditions, then that is their right.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them disconnect you if you start legal proceedings against them, so end up without broadband anyway!

this must be happening to a lot of other customers.

So they're probably not discriminating against you due to your race/sexual orientation/religion etc? Therefore legally I don't think they are doing anything wrong.

I can't simply say no thanks, as I need broadband

There are other 30 day contract BB suppliers, not just Virgin. There are also other options than fixed line BB. So your choices appear to number more than Virgin alone.

Nope I'm on a 30 day rolling contract for all 3 services according to them.

Which you are asking to change substantially, so a new contract for just 1 service will come into force.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Nope I'm on a 30 day rolling contract for all 3 services according to them. They then want to force a 12 month contract on me for the broadand only if I cancel 2 of the services, despite offering 30 day rolling contracts for broadband only on their website.

It makes no logical sense.

They are forcing nothing, its your choice they have given you the terms, don't like it go elsewhere
  • glentoran99
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Be interested to know on what grounds you would legally challenge them? If Virgin don't want to do businses with you, or do but with certain conditions, then that is their right.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them disconnect you if you start legal proceedings against them, so end up without broadband anyway!

So they're probably not discriminating against you due to your race/sexual orientation/religion etc? Therefore legally I don't think they are doing anything wrong.

There are other 30 day contract BB suppliers, not just Virgin. There are also other options than fixed line BB. So your choices appear to number more than Virgin alone.

Which you are asking to change substantially, so a new contract for just 1 service will come into force.

good luck finding one that doesn't need a phone line
  • mije1983
    good luck finding one that doesn't need a phone line

Where did I say you didn't need a phone line? It's all packaged under one price now anyway so not sure what the issue is?
  • glentoran99
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Where did I say you didn't need a phone line? It's all packaged under one price now anyway so not sure what the issue is?

That's part of his complaint, he wants rid of the phone line
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    TBH, they publish the T&C's for their benefit more than yours, and no doubt know what they can and cannot do in any situation, is it treating a customer fairly ?, that's open to debate, can you make them do what you want, probably not, they would argue that by removing 2 of the 3 parts of the bundle it's you that are changing the terms of the contract not them, and by you altering the terms of the contract they are entitled to a new minimum term.
    There are many options available
    Continue to pay for 3 services , gives the option to quit without ETC.
    Cancel everything, and use someone else, but that could include minimum terms, or use a company that has (generally more expensive) 30 day contracts.
    Cancel everything and apply for a 30 day rolling 'contract' for broadband with VM, but I would imagine that would be more expensive than the broadband element of your current 'deal'.
    Pick a provider that will be able to offer service at your new address, and allow you to move your account to that new address.
    Make the availability of VM the deal breaker for your new home, and take a minimum term broadband deal on offer from VM
    But if the computer says 'no' , as far as cancel TV and phone and continue without minimum term for broadband, they have the whip hand
  • mije1983
    That's part of his complaint, he wants rid of the phone line

Only because they don't use it, and with Virgin it isn't needed. Not for any other reason. And with Virgin's monthly prices, you are paying the equivalent of line rental anyway so no saving really to be had over a traditional LR+BB package.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There is no legal terms and conditions to allow them to enforce a 12 month contract on me just for removing two services. If they state the decision stands, I'll use the legal cover in my home insurance to challenge them.
    Your Home Insurance will not cover the costs of you bringing this to a court, I guarantee it.

Regardless, any such action would be swiftly thrown out of court.
  • love2learn
    love2learn Posts: 172 Forumite
    Your Home Insurance will not cover the costs of you bringing this to a court, I guarantee it.

Regardless, any such action would be swiftly thrown out of court.

Well I'll wait on their final response and request it in writing, if I don't agree with it. I'll take it to the independent adjudicator as per the complaints process. Then OffCom.

I've completed an 18 month contract, paid every bill on time. And now when I want to remove parts of their service that I literally don't use, they say the only way I can do that is to take a new 12 month contract.

It's not the amount of money, it's the principal. I'm not asking to change the broadband, only remove to services I don't use.

They offer the 30 day rolling contract on their website. Tell me verbally it's only for new customers, and can't show any wording in their terms and conditions to prove that either.

At the very least they're not treating customers fairly. And if no one every does anything about it, nothing will change. I'll at least tie up some of their time and cause them some hassle.
  • love2learn
    love2learn Posts: 172 Forumite
    Also it's not home insurance I'd be claiming on. It's the separate legal cover policy I paid extra to take out.

I'm not even sure I want the hassle for what might be only a few months paying for something I'm not using. Depends on their response. If they annoy me enough I will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure