PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat well for less - series 4

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I thought the little boy with the glasses in the first episode was so cute! He stole the show.:)

I just started watching the second episode, £14k a year spent on food!

:eek:
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    When i was watching that programme, the other night. One of the things i noticed was, the two presenters told the family off, 'cos they'd bought tins of beans when they already had beans in the house. If you come to my house the freezer & cupboards are bulging with things i use regularly. I don't know how many but there must be dozens of tins of tomatoes; Weetabix, and tins of tuna. And still if they're on offer i'll get more. I'm not going to wait until i almost run out, then have to pay more.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    SamsReturn wrote: »
    When i was watching that programme, the other night. One of the things i noticed was, the two presenters told the family off, 'cos they'd bought tins of beans when they already had beans in the house. If you come to my house the freezer & cupboards are bulging with things i use regularly. I don't know how many but there must be dozens of tins of tomatoes; Weetabix, and tins of tuna. And still if they're on offer i'll get more. I'm not going to wait until i almost run out, then have to pay more.
    I have lots of storage space so I will buy tomatoes, beans, toilet rolls etc when they are on offer. I'm particular about what brands I buy.

I like Heinz plum & chopped tomatoes.
    They're hard to get hold of.
    B&M do them pretty cheap sometimes (£1.20 for a pack of 4) so when I see them, I'll maybe buy 16 tins if the BB date is long.
    Doing a batch of bolognaise, sausage casserole, chilli etc, I can easily use 5 tins.

You do need to have a rotation system.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Mm SamsReturn I think that a lot of us on here have stock cupboards with the same of a lot of items.
    I have lots of rice. Think I have 6kg of brown rice, 4kg of white rice, 1kg pudding rice and even rice flour (not sure how much) for example. As I use them I always replace by a certain point. I bought the brown rice when on offer.
    I do the same with tins.
    I buy the big bags of lentils even though it's just me eating them.
    I could make many meals with what I have in now. It is this way of buying that saves me money though.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Fair enough, but do you also throw out perfectly edible food to the value of £4k pa?

I thought not.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Fair enough, but do you also throw out perfectly edible food to the value of £4k pa?

I thought not.
    I think there's a big difference between buying tinned and other non-perishable items like washing liquid, loo rolls etc when they're on offer and filling your trolley with bags of salad, fruit, veg and dairy items that you'll end up throwing away because you've not given any thought to what you're going to do with them.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!

That bit niggled me too.
    I like to stock up on long shelf life products when they are on offer.
    I especially did it lots the other year when my hubby was in and out of temporary work. I stocked up when he was working, so that I only had fresh stuff to buy when he wasn't.
    Husband asked a few times if I was intending to insulate the loft with loo roll and rice :)
    Zebras rock
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    It is exactly that! I could be a multi-billionaire but if I have space in the freezer I'm unlikely to pass up on a bakery item adorned with a yellow sticker!

I reckon Mr Caan lived with a bit of scarcity during his childhood or perhaps went without sometimes, there's got to be a psychological explanation for his fridge-has-gotta-be-full-at-all-times syndrome. I quite liked Mrs Caan, she was a moderating influence on his profligacy.

VfM4meplse that was my thought exactly!
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just catching up on this thread and have to say what a lovely post yesterday from JackieO. Your philosophy on life is spot on - family and the time spent with them is so important, as is appreciating the simple things in life. And well done on the poppy knitting that shows you also care about others too - I'm not sure I'd have had the patience to do 100+! Also, I remember when you first started the LFHW thread that you very generously donated the money you'd saved to a charity. :A These may only be small acts of kindness but I'm sure they are much appreciated by the recipients. A real antidote to the dreadful things that are happening all around us just now.

We also like the IoW but, not being drivers, find it quite a trek down from Yorkshire. The first time we went on a coach holiday and did the usual tourist trips organised by the coach company, but after that we made our own way around using public transport. It's a different pace of life, more relaxed, almost like turning the clock back. :):)

I thought the Caan family were very likeable but, oh my, what an eye-watering amount they throw away! That would feed me and DH for a whole year. I really hope their stint on EWFL sets them on track to be more frugal and eating more healthily in the future. And so nice to see that the little boy was now eating - and more importantly - enjoying the fresh veg.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always wonder what these families earn to spend so much on food! The shop well for less sister show also had me rolling my eyes at how much people spend on clothes, tech and household furnishings! I am not the most thrifty but even I am better than these people! Though they are the extreme hence why they get to be on TV.
    The problem is they just mindlessly put things in the trolley without a meal plan, I learned the error of this when I was 19 and in university!! I always have meal plans, I have a word doc on my PC which I update when planning each food shop with my menu for the week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure