Miscarriage support

1519520521522523525»

Comments

• TamVilla80
    TamVilla80 Posts: 588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    That's great news athensgeorgia. I find my counselling really helpful, and I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's good that you are finding it beneficial. They are quite sneaky these counsellors, you think you are just chatting but they totally have you sussed, lol
  • TamVilla80 wrote: »
    That's great news athensgeorgia. I find my counselling really helpful, and I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's good that you are finding it beneficial. They are quite sneaky these counsellors, you think you are just chatting but they totally have you sussed, lol

You worded it perfectly. I've thought that at the end of each session so far, he's totally sussed it all out.
  • saver-j
    saver-j Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Glad to hear you are feeling a bit more positive athensgeorgia.

Interested to see how helpful you and Tamvilla80 have found counselling. I am leaning towards asking the gp about it.
  • TamVilla80
    TamVilla80 Posts: 588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's been a lifesaver for me and my husband, I'm not sure how we would have coped with the loss of our son (and subsequent life issues, including my hideous boss and leaving my job) without the help of our counsellor.
    She is amazing. Nearly 70 years old but doesn't want to retire as she knows they won't replace her because of budget cuts. She lost 2 boys over 30 years ago, so knows exactly what we are going through,and I swear she is our living guardian angel!
    Just try it. I think a lot can depend on how open you are and who your counsellor is, but it doesn't hurt to try does it. Just having someone that can understand us, and sometimes clearing thoughts up for us, has really helped us get through the past 6 months
  • saver-j wrote: »
    Glad to hear you are feeling a bit more positive athensgeorgia.

Interested to see how helpful you and Tamvilla80 have found counselling. I am leaning towards asking the gp about it.

I attended my third session last night. I'm not sure if this is national or just the provider I have gone with but I get 7 sessions for free and if I would like any further sessions they're paid for.

As this is only my third session I can only give you feedback from what I have experienced so far. When I MC, it felt like the end of the world. I had so many unanswered questions and feelings I was struggling to deal with. Don't get me wrong I'm still not quite 'me' but I also feel the counselling is helping me. I know it doesn't help everybody but I already know I'm glad I went ahead.

The first session I spent the whole time talking about the MC and crying, second was half the MC and other things and last night was hardly any of the MC. I've been shown things in a totally different perspective than how I was seeing them and I feel it's helping me in life in general and not just the MC.

I would say make the referral or ask your GP to (in my area we do it ourselves), and give it a try. If you feel anything like I did after my MC nothing could feel worse but hopefully you'll gain from it. In our area there's an 8 - 10 week waiting list, so I'd advise you to refer now and if you feel it's not for you when you get a place don't attend.

HTH.
  • DivenParker
    DivenParker Posts: 11 Forumite
    a lovely thread to start up.

all my sympathies to all who have had mcs
  • MancMama4
    MancMama4 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    saver-j did you get my pm about the acupuncture?! Can't see my response in my sent items - if not let me know I'll resend the link x
    MancMama4 (35) TTC since Apr 15, MMC Dec 15, Our Rainbow Baby Charlie arrived Dec 16 :heart2:
  • saver-j
    Mancmama - yes thank you, have replied. X
  • saver-j
    It's pregnancy and baby loss awareness week. That has made me want to come back to post again here because after my miscarriage earlier this year I found reading this entire thread so helpful that I wanted other people to be aware of it and make use of it too if they find it helpful.

AnotherJoe suggested I updated in a few months. Well it's been about 6 since I last posted here.
    I did have counselling over the summer and think it really helped me. I still get upset about it and struggle with my emotions sometimes, but I'm not down all the time any more, and I started to let myself think about the real future again, not just the should have been future that I think I got stuck thinking about for a while. I also think it helped me through a subsequent loss which I have found less traumatic even though it's still relatively early days and I am still finding my way after it.

I am really identifying with the message of the awareness week about breaking the silence which seems to surround pregnancy and baby loss. Until it happened to me I had no idea how common pregnancy and baby loss was. Not only that but it was only when I have told people that people have opened up about their losses too and there are so many.

Not everyone around me knows about my miscarriages but one thing I really struggled with was when people who did stopped asking how I was, when it was still the thing I thought about most of the day most days. Partly my fault as I didn't like to bring it up myself either. I also really do understand that people don't know what to say, but perhaps if it was talked about more people would, or at least wouldn't be so scared to ask how you are.

I hope anyone reading is doing ok, my thoughts are with each of you.
  • Hi everyone! I accidentally found this thread. I'm so sorry about your MCs. I know how it feels and it sucks. I was ttc for long years. I had multiple MCs and it was a nightmare. Not only it was hard for me to survive each loss, but also when everyone was asking me how I'm feeling and if I'm ok made everything even worse. My family and close friends were looking at me with those eyes... I think you know what I mean. I hate when people feel sorry for me. And they were doing it for many years. I know that they were just worrying. But sometimes I took it differently. I was praying this to be over. I felt like I'm not capable to even carry my own child, like I'm miserable and pathetic. That was so hard... I can't hold back tears when I remember those years. Now it's finally over and all that left in the past. I hope all of you will make your dream of becoming a mother come true and there will be no losses any more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure