Free solar power system. Is it a scam?

Comments

• lemfizz
    lemfizz Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We applied to see if we fitted the criteria required. We did not agree to go ahead if we were eligible.

After the surveyor visited and reported back to ASG we were informed by email that we fitted the criteria.

We then received another email which gave us the date the scaffolders were booked for, and the date the new meter would be fitted.

What I was expecting was that when we were told that we were eligible someone from ASG would visit to go through the process in detail with us (ie the small print you can't find on their website) so we could make an informed decision about whether to proceed or not.

Or am I just being naive?
  • Poosmate
    Poosmate Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    I don't think you are being niaive Lemfizz. This is a big decision and does warrant thorough researching.

Having read through the whole of this thread, I was quite surprised at your treatment by ASG. I don't think any of the other posters who have dealt with ASG have voiced such treatment. I am guessing it's because they have been inundated with applications and maybe it is true that many of the pioneers who have met their criteria have jumped at the chance of having these free solar panels because until now there was no alternative.

Now, there are at least 2 other companies offering the same (Isis) or better (Homesun) schemes. Albeit, Isis are concentrating on the south whereas ASG are in the north, I don't know which market Homesun is going for - maybe they will cover the whole of the country and include NI and Scotland. Obviously ASG and Isis are in a race to tie up as many contracts as they can before more companies set up in the same way. Sounds like Homesun have scared them somewhat because, on the face of it, they are offering a better service for the system - in that the householder can purchase the panels off the company at some point in the future (that must mean taking FiTs benefits too otherwise there'd be no point in it).

As others have pointed out, those who are accepting the free panels at the moment are getting a bit of a raw deal compared to those who are paying for them (depending on who's view you take), but when one company has a monopoly (ASG started it), they set the bar and anyone coming in afterwards (Isis) has to offer the same (they can because they are not touting for the same business as ASG) or better (Homesun) who, it would appear are going for dominance in the market.

Now we have a third big fish in the pond, ASG and Isis will no doubt have to revise their marketing which may mean they will start offering new installations £100 roof rent pa (as has been suggested) or maybe introduce an option to buy after 10 or 15 years (when they have made their money back of the systems they are installing now). Remember, they are buying in bulk and at trade prices so payback time for them will be a few years less than our paid installations.

Of course, all this new competition is only going to be good for us who are willing to pay for our systems and benefit from the FiTs because all those small scale local solar system fitting businesses (the small fish in the pond) will have to compete with the "free" companies too.

I'm definately not going to get solar panels fitted this year as I believe the competition will drive the prices down and the FiTs payments don't go down till April 2012.

That's my thoughts anyway. I'd appreciate others thoughts on this.

Poo
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    lemfizz wrote: »
    We applied to see if we fitted the criteria required. We did not agree to go ahead if we were eligible.

After the surveyor visited and reported back to ASG we were informed by email that we fitted the criteria.

We then received another email which gave us the date the scaffolders were booked for, and the date the new meter would be fitted.

What I was expecting was that when we were told that we were eligible someone from ASG would visit to go through the process in detail with us (ie the small print you can't find on their website) so we could make an informed decision about whether to proceed or not.

Or am I just being naive?

Isn't that putting the 'cart before the horse'.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Poosmate wrote: »
    I'm definately not going to get solar panels fitted this year as I believe the competition will drive the prices down and the FiTs payments don't go down till April 2012.

That's my thoughts anyway. I'd appreciate others thoughts on this.

Poo

You could be right about the price of the panels etc, but I think there's a chance the Government could reduce the present FIT payments before they reduce in April 2012. I hear rumours that the scheme's felt to be overgenerous as it stands.
  • lemfizz wrote: »
    Hi all

We recently applied for the ASG solar panels and were accepted. However, after careful consideration we have decided against going ahead for the following reasons:

The estimated saving of about £100-£150 per annum on our electricity bill doesn't seem high enough to justify entering into a binding 25 year contract.

The solar panels would be ours to keep after 25 years, but the technology would have probably moved on considerably in that time, leaving us with obsolete solar panels on our roof.

We were not convinced that a house with solar panels on which did not belong to the owner would be as an attractive proposition to prospective buyers as ASG claim.

ASG informed us that a date had been arranged for the scaffolders to come, and a date for a new meter to be fitted before anyone had been out to discuss the details or go through the paperwork with us, so we began to feel that we were being put under pressure to let the installation go ahead.

We cancelled the installation by phone and email and were phoned up a few days later to agree a date for someone to come out so we could sign the agreement!

We were told that if cancelled we would be the only ones to cancel an installation as everyone else had been happy with the agreement, so even then we felt we were being pressured!

Hey i've worked our how to quote :)

Lemfizz I got all the 'paperwork' from ASG last week before I even applied, they sent it to me by return of email!

Also, I was told that even if I were accepted I wouldn't get offered an install date until about end November (I asked about leadtime) so lucky you that you got a date so fast. Also if you thought it was such a bad deal why apply in the first place and put them to the trouble of surveying your home?????????
  • lemfizz
    Cardew wrote: »
    Isn't that putting the 'cart before the horse'.

No, its being sensible.
  • lemfizz
    Hey i've worked our how to quote :)

Lemfizz I got all the 'paperwork' from ASG last week before I even applied, they sent it to me by return of email!

Also, I was told that even if I were accepted I wouldn't get offered an install date until about end November (I asked about leadtime) so lucky you that you got a date so fast. Also if you thought it was such a bad deal why apply in the first place and put them to the trouble of surveying your home?????????

Because you are not given all the details in the first place. You are asked to apply to see if you are eligible.
  • lemfizz wrote: »
    Because you are not given all the details in the first place. You are asked to apply to see if you are eligible.

But it tells you everything on the website and i alwo got copy of their lease without any hassle i wouldnt have applied at all otherwise. i like to know what i may be getting myeslf into:).
  • RRatchet
    RRatchet Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SarahLucyD wrote: »
    Nomcom - why would the Government scrap the FIT Scheme it when it's not actually being funded by the Government - it isn't coming out of their 'coffers' is it? The Government isn't funding it, they merely initiated it. It's the power companies that are paying the tariffs. If the Government scrapped it they would open the floodgates of litigation from thousands of microgenerators who relied on the legislation that they passed this April, which modified the conditions of electricity supply licences.

Sarah - A Shade Greener

I'm sure that I read in a newspaper (Sunday Times Business Section - I think) a few weeks back that Spain and I think Portugal have or are about to scrap their FIT's as part of their austerity measures. Germany has/had also reduced the FIT rate. Sorry to be so vague, I can't remember the details, but the article did say that a number of companies would go bust because their income would disappear. The article also queried whether the Uk would follow suit.

Yours

R
  • beedydad
    beedydad Posts: 90 Forumite
    It does seem that the process of actually applying for one of these schemes is getting longer!

Also, the install dates seem also to be lengthening.

To me it shows that these companies have not been geared up or actually worked thru their respective Business Plans to work out "worse case scenario" as to whether they will fulfill peoples expectations.

There are just not enough installers available nor qualified MCS personnel to make these companies schemes work any quicker - in fact I expect them to get worse due to popularity.

It therefore does give you all time to get out of the deal.

A poster has suggested better and more customer friendly (i would say more financially rewarding deals) may well come along.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport