The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    shoi wrote: »
    We live in France, but we wish to keep some savings in sterling. It's becoming increasingly harder to do so. Pretty much every bank / BS now will insist that you are UK resident; there doesnt seem to be any legal reason for this, just a fashion. For example I opened an account with a BS 6 months ago, now my missus wanted to follow me (rare but anyway), but they have changed their policy so she cannot.

Does anybody have an explanation?

The result is you are forced into offshore savings with limited guarantees and poorer rates. Anybody got any tips?

Capital Bank do a current account that allows Euro's and Sterling, so do others.

Surely you will need some Euro's?
  • Mr._H_2
    Mr._H_2 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Euro's

What's that apostrophe for?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mr._H wrote: »

Presumably he was referring to all the goodies he'd be able to buy with the Euros. Duh!
  • stphnstevey

I was posting to try to help someone

It makes you wonder if it's worth bothering when small minded people have nothing better to do than point out spelling and grammer mistakes :mad:. I (unlike some it seems) have a life and will comment on several forums in as short a time as possible so I can live outside of a computer. You knew what I meant so why did you waste your time pointing it out
  • G_M
    Hey chill out! Just introducing a bit of side fun. It's a public forum with 12,224 participants - although 12,219 of them are 100% focussed 100% of the time on the immediate topic, the other 5 might not be ...
  • Mr._H_2
    I was posting to try to help someone

It makes you wonder if it's worth bothering when small minded people have nothing better to do than point out spelling and grammer mistakes :mad:. I (unlike some it seems) have a life and will comment on several forums in as short a time as possible so I can live outside of a computer. You knew what I meant so why did you waste your time pointing it out

Poor grammar is a sign of sloppy thinking. Sorry for having standards.
  • Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Isn't this a forum where we can ask and receive help?

An apostrophe in the wrong place isn't going to confuse anyone really. It's not an English exam ATEOTD (or should i actually type out at the end of the day??)

It's all a bit childish and pointless isn't it. Why don't we just get back to helping people without needlessly being picky & winding people up :)
  • G_M
    I (unlike some it seems) have a life and will comment in as short a time as possible

Id u/stand if u lft ap'st's out bt nt f u + em in!
  • stphnstevey
    Poor grammar is a sign of sloppy thinking. Sorry for having standards.

You are very sad aren't you

Trolling a thread is a sign of no life. My Grandad fought a war to stop people like you getting in power and introducing your kind of "standards".

Go back to playing with your train set in the loft or cataloging Star Trek memorabilia.....W*nk*r's - with or without the apostrophe I am sure you understand.
  • Mr._H_2
    edited 4 January 2010 at 12:08AM
    You are very sad aren't you

Trolling a thread is a sign of no life. My Grandad fought a war to stop people like you getting in power and introducing your kind of "standards".

Go back to playing with your train set in the loft or cataloging Star Trek memorabilia.....W*nk*r's - with or without the apostrophe I am sure you understand.

:rotfl: Quite a lot of assumptions there.

1.) I don't have a train set.
    2.) I'm not a Trekkie although I did just watch the most recent film and can highly recommend it - super! Can't wait for the next two :D
    3.) I'm not a fascist. Last general election I voted Liberal Democrat and probably will again this time because my MP has been pretty good.
    4.) I haven't studied history that closely but I'm pretty sure Nazi Germany was against intellectualism; you know, leading to the burning of books and stuff. So unless you're saying that your Grandad was a Nazi, you are entirely wrong that he fought to stop people like me.

What is the point of all your emotionally-charged claptrap? You will note that I did not personally attack you in any way. When someone corrects me in a forum (hey even I make mistakes!), I just say "oops, my bad", correct the mistake and try not to make the same mistake again.

What is the purpose of all your anger and hate? I honestly don't get it. My posts are light-hearted and you're blowing a gasket. Just chill out.

If you go back in this thread and find all the posts I've made, you will see that I am not trolling it as you suggest. In fact, if you search my posts across the whole forum, you will find the vast majority of them are to help others.

I stand by my original post. If you are unable to do something as simple as correctly pluralise the word "Euro", why should anyone take your advice in monetary matters?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback