Organising finances: 50k saved but badly help pls!

Hi, I’m a complete amateur with finances and wondered if I could get some help. Background: I’ve saved since being a kid and now in my mid thirties. I want to buy a house within the next year and half and have built up a good deposit.

When reviewing my account today I realise how stupid I am being as in essence I am currently loosing money with any savings and I’m prepared to take the abuse I deserve for this.

This is a break down of finances (all with Halifax). 21,000 in rewards current account, no interest. 22,000 in instant isa saver at 0.2%, 6,850 in help to buy isa at 3.5%. Total approx 50k.

This is clearly stupid. I wondered what I should do? Am I best to move the 22,000 isa elsewhere? And surely I am mad to have 21,000 in a rewards account gaining nothing? Also, am I best to stay with the help to buy ISA? I’d like to try get a house at approx 250,000 if the banks allow me to- someone mentioned that there is another option in passing? I currently save the full monthly allowance of 200 in the help to buy each month.

I can save 1000 a month due to staying with friends at the moment- also, any thoughts on where this should go would be amazing.

Any advise (with or without abuse for my stupidity :)) is very welcome and a massive thank you in advance!!

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    The Help to Buy ISA is perfectly reasonable, as long as the purchase price of the house will not exceed £250,000. If it did then you would not be able to use the HTB and claim the bonus. The alternative is uing a Lifetime ISA, which increases the permitted purchase price to £450,000. Both ISAs pay a 25% bonus, but the LISA bonus is credited directly to your account, rather than having to be applied for by your solicitor. There are, however, downsides with the LISA: you can't make use of the money before a full year is up, and you are too late to apply to transfer in your HTB ISA for this financial year. The maximum deposit in a LISA is £4,000 p.a. I think, in your case, that keeping the HTB ISA is the most sensible option.

The balance on your Halifax account is huge and, as you rightly say, is not benefiting you. You would be well-advised to move this money to interest paying current accounts. Most of these require you to have direct debits to get the interest, and this may not be as easy for you if you are staying with friends, but you may have other direct debits:

1) Switching to Nationwide FlexDirect would get you 5% interest for one year on £2,500 of the money and give you access to a 5% regular saver at £250 p/m (taking up another £3,000 of the lump). If you know someone with a Nationwide account then they can recommend you and you will both receive £100 bonus. No DDs needed.

2) You could combine this with a Tesco account, paying 3% on £3,000. Three DDs needed.

3) Add in Bank of Scotland Vantage, which pays 2% on £5,000. This requires two DDs. You can actually have three of these accounts, as long as you have 6 DDs available.

4) TSB Classic Plus will pay you 3% interest on £1,500. No DDs required, but if you had two paying out each month you would also earn £5 p/m cashback too.

5) Club Lloyds will pay you 2% on £5,000 and give you access to a regular saver paying 3% on £400 p/m. Two DDs needed.

6) Santander 123 will pay you 1.5% on £20,000 and give you access to a regular saver paying 5% on £200 p/m. There is a £5 p/m account fee, but also cashback on some DDs. The cashback is mostly on utility bills which you aren't likely to be paying at the moment, so your £5 fee won't be offset by the cashback (which is what most people do). Two "active" DDs needed, i.e. they have to have paid out in the last 13 months, but don't have to pay out every month.

However, be aware that each current account application will require a search on your credit file, so you need to be cautious as you intend to apply for a mortgage. If that application is likely to be around 12 months away then there shouldn't be a problem, but the closer the date gets the bigger the issue.

Alternatively, you could consider taking advantage of some of the switching bonuses. Often these will dwarf the interest you'll earn in the first year (and both of the ones below also give access to good regular savers):

1) HSBC Advance pays £150 for switching and another £50 if you stay with them for 12 months. The regular saver pays 5% on £250 p/m. No DDs are needed, but to ge the bonus there must be two DDs or standing orders set up on the account you are switching. This is easily sorted by setting up two SOs to pay money to another account you hold!

2) First Direct pays £125 for switching. The regular saver pays 5% on £300 p/m. No DDs are needed.

To take advantage of these, open a second account with Halifax (and set up two standing orders from you existing account to the new one). Switch the existing account to HSBC and the new account to First Direct.

The cash ISA is losing you a lot of interest. Move the money into either the current accounts listed above (if interest earning available balances exist) or an easy access savings account, e.g. Virgin Money Double Take E-Saver, which pays 1.3%. If you aren't going to need access to this money for at least a year, however, then you can earn more interest by opening a fixed rate 1 year savings bond with Investec, who will pay you 1.85%.

Have a look at these pages on MSE for further details of all accounts mentioned:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts
  • This is incredibly helpful and I!!!8217;ll look in to all of the valuable options

Starting with the help to buy and LISA situation. Clearly, after reading up I!!!8217;ve made an error as if I!!!8217;d have transferred across to a Cash LISA before the deadline on the 2nd March, I would be laughing?

From the way I read it, I!!!8217;d have got all my money in the LiSA and been able to add an extra 1000 for this year to top up to the max 4,000 yr and then been able to put 4,000 straight in on the new tax year and can buy anytime after the end of this tax year.

If I transfer after, I!!!8217;d have to wait a year but could be used on properties up to 450 which is great. However, would I loose the bonus on the 6850 I!!!8217;ve already saved.

Would it be beneficial to look at the option on the LISA bonds and transfer into cash LISA now before the deadline?

Thanks again
  • Sorry i mean, stocks and shares LISA and then transfer
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 2:46PM
    It is very unlikely that a transfer to an S&S LISA will complete before the new tax year, so any money transferred to it would be counted as a contribution for the 2018/19 tax year. AJ Bell are your only real option, but they are saying that they need to receive your transfer form by Monday 19th March, and even then they can't guarantee that the transfer will complete by 5th April, because they are reliant on how quickly your current HTB provider acts on the request. To be honest, I think you would be cutting it very fine and may well not succeed. There is, therefore, no benefit in transferring to an S&S ISA and then again to Skipton for the cash LISA.

As you are looking to buy within the next year and a half, opening a new LISA and moving £4,000 of your HTB balance (full contribution for 2018/19) will only be of benefit if you ensure that your house purchase is definitely more than one year away. If you did this then you could transfer the £4,000 for 2018/19, continue to contribute to your HTB ISA during 2018/19 tax year (up to £4,000 total balance - because that will be the maximum LISA contribution for 2019/20 - keeping in mind that interest adds to this) and then transfer that at the beginning of 2019/20 tax year. Doing this will give you £10,000 in your LISA (£8,000 contributions plus 25% bonus for 2 years). The big issue is that to make this work for you the house purchase can't be until after 6th April 2019.

You can't get the bonus from both the HTB and the LISA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure