MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required

Comments

• Boom_Boom
    Boom_Boom Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can't understand what the delay is here. Very bad.
  • bodacious
    bodacious Posts: 450 Forumite
    Still no fix and not even as much as a comment or acknowledgement from MSE some 4 days after the problem was highlighted :mad:

This forum is really going to the dogs nowadays as nobody at MSE seems to care about anything any more (other than chasing the dollar, of course). I wonder if Martin knows his 'baby' is slowly being trashed.
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395 Forumite
    I've tweeted, sent dms, used the feedback form and not a whisper. Rather undermines mses position in criticising other sites with faults.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Maybe they've all left the building and the lights are out. Come on MSE, sort this out.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Hi there, thanks for your feedback and your patience. We've disabled links from opening in new tabs for security reasons. While we can't make any promises, we're looking into a fix that may still let you open in a new tab and keep you safe at the same time. Could we ask for your patience, again, while we investigate?

Thanks

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395 Forumite
    Jessica

Thanks for replying. I very much hope that you can find a way to restore the opening of links in new tabs as it is causing many of us problems as you can see from this thread.

In the future when making a change of this sort it might be helpful to announce it ahead of time and/or reply reasonably promptly to queries about the change like this thread. It has felt very much like shouting into a vacuum this week.
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks Jessica, but this really should have been addressed much sooner ...

One word in the meantime ... arrgghhhhhhhhhhh!
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We've disabled links from opening in new tabs for security reasons.
    I speak from a position of ignorance but surely, if a link will take you to a new page or site, how is it any less safe if it's in a new tab as opposed to the existing one?
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Ok, I've downloaded an "Add-on" for Firefox called "open link in new tab" and at the moment its working ok.

Here is the link https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/open-link-in-new-tab/

Once you download it and restart your browser you will have to click on Tools>Add-ons>then look for the add-on you just downloaded>options>Then change the bar to how it is in the picture>ok

When you are not using MSE, you can always disable the App then just enable again when you log back into MSE

There are more Apps out there, but I've only had a play with this one for 20mins think it works on all browsers.

2016-10-07_14-44-17_zpsf7k4rrcs.jpg
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Biggles wrote: »
    surely, if a link will take you to a new page or site, how is it any less safe if it's in a new tab as opposed to the existing one?

Quite....and it isn't. The excuse we've been given would seem to be a smokescreen.

It was as it was for years, and IMO there is no logical reason to change it, certainly not for 'safety'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure