Financial advice - ignore it and then DIY

124»

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Once a strategy and portfolio are set there's really not much action to be taken.

Fund adjustments, rebalancing etc. Can be done DIY but usually isnt. Unless you DIY at the start. I have also received many clients who originally started out DIY but then decided to go advice as they didnt want to put the time into it and/or realised their limitations.
    The financial advice industry does a good job of making this all seem more complicated than necessary and making people believe that they are not clever or knowledgeable enough to DIY.

How would you know. You are not in the UK.
    They also like to drum up fear that without an IFA/FA they will get things wrong.

The assumption that people who DIY cant get it wrong is false. There is a guy going through the courts at the moment who is being made bankrupt because he made a mistake which would not have happened if he had sought advice (or would have had consumer protection if the mistake had been made under advice). We see DIY mistakes all the time. DIY in financial areas is just the same as DIY in any area. Do it well and you can save money. Do it badly and it can cost you far more.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure