Vodafone to Change Prices from 11 Oct 2011

bbxsa
bbxsa Posts: 42 Forumite
edited 2 September 2011 at 2:45PM in Mobiles
I just received a text from Vodafone directing me to price changes from 11 October 2011.
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/yourbill

Somehow they think they are "simplifying" the price plans by adding an extra 1.8% to my monthly fee by rounding it up to the nearest 50p. Since I pay my bill electronically/automatically each month by direct debit and usually have other charges on the bill...how does this simplify anything? It is just a lame excuse to put up prices.

I can't find a list of the existing call prices so have not figured out yet how the new call prices are different (except that 0800 and 0870 calls have become a bit more reasonable -- but only during a promotional period after which they are raised again).

It sounds like another one of their tricks to squeeze customers for more money. I think it is unfair to apply this to customers during their contract period and it should only apply to new customers. I am awfully tempted to try to get myself released from my contract on the back of this and move to a different network (I like T-Mobile for roaming and would potentially switch to them).

Any other thoughts on the new Vodafone prices?

P.S. The reason I want to leave Vodafone is they have been cancelling services and increasing prices on me for the last year and I am frankly quite irritated by it. Shouldn't they only be changing the rules on new customers and not on current contracts? For example, (1) I used to have an @vodafone.net email address which was cancelled, (2) I used to be able to receive faxes on my voicemail line which has been discontinued, (3) I used to be able to roam in the USA with BlackBerry data being charged in 1kb increments instead of the current £3/5MB/day. Now (4) they have decided to put up monthly line rental and who know's what other changes have been added in the small print. What would be the best way to approach them about being released from my contract?

Comments

• gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    The RPI stands at 5% any increase that is less than RPI is permitted and would not be considered a valid reason to break your contract.

Annoying as I'm on Vodafone too but nothing much can be done about it. Companies are permitted to make increases to allow for inflation althhough as you say given people pay electronically seems an odd reason to do it, why not say it's due to inflation?

With regards to the other issues did you complain at the time they were changed, if you didn't then it could be said by continuing useage and not complaining you accepted the change.
  • bbxsa
    gjchester wrote: »
    With regards to the other issues did you complain at the time they were changed, if you didn't then it could be said by continuing useage and not complaining you accepted the change.

I didn't know about the loss of the fax service until I next needed to receive a fax and then was mighty irritated to discover it gone. But it was too late to do anything about it.

As for the increase in the cost of data abroad, I did complain at the time but they said it was not one of their "core" services so I could not be released from my contract. I didn't know how else to pursue the issue. (However, ever since the change I have not put a single byte of data through my Vodafone account abroad. I have an old BlackBerry with a T-Mobile SIM. They charge £20 for 6 months BlackBerry service and £15/month to use it abroad. A really great deal I think and hence why I will be looking to change from Vodafone once my contract is up.)

I have basically decided that the next time I sign a mobile contract, I want all of the prices and services agreed to emailed to me so I have something in writing. Otherwise it is just too difficult to try to argue with them about what was agreed. (But I have my doubt as to whether they would even email me an agreement as the sales agents seem to say just about anything over the phone to sell a contract).
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I haven't got a problem with the increases as such. I still get a good deal.

What irritates me beyond belief, however, is the blatant misleading weasel words that insult my intelligence. "From 11 October 2011 we're simplifying our existing line rental prices."

No you are not - you are increasing them. You have computers that cost millions, I have a good education so we both have the capability to deal with the UK currency in coinage that is not a multiple of 50p. And, of course, any calls will make the bill not a multiple of 50p.

Just be honest, Vodafone. I am not a child, I understand about inflation, I understand that you are entitled to raise your charges. Just don't imply that it is because of any desire to simplify things!
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,956
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    gjchester wrote: »
    The RPI stands at 5% any increase that is less than RPI is permitted and would not be considered a valid reason to break your contract.

However, my out-of-bundle call charges will go up from 21p/min to 35p/min, which is an increase of 67%. Much higher than 5% RPI.

Time to read the small print people!!!!!
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • bbxsa
    simax wrote: »
    However, my out-of-bundle call charges will go up from 21p/min to 35p/min, which is an increase of 67%. Much higher than 5% RPI.

Time to read the small print people!!!!!

This what I thought but I can not find any information on Vodafone's site about the current call charges... I can only find info on the new charges.

I have emailed Vodafone to ask them for this info but I would not be surprised if they ignore the request.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,956
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've read the T+C's now - you can terminate if your total bill from the previous month would be 10% higher or more under the new charges.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • simax wrote: »
    I've read the T+C's now - you can terminate if your total bill from the previous month would be 10% higher or more under the new charges.
    It's time to leave my mins running so I go over by 10% from previous months :p
  • bbxsa
    Vodafone's call charges page at
    http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/price-plans/pay-monthly/call-charges/
    reads:
    "Here’s the full list of prices you'll pay if you’re a pay monthly customer who connected after 31 May 2011."

Does anyone have a copy of the call charges for people that connected before this date? I am trying to figure out how the recently announced charges relate to the old charges... but can't find the old charges which relate to my connection date anywhere.
  • bbxsa
    edited 3 September 2011 at 3:08PM
    I called Vodafone and asked how much a call to an 0844 or 0871 number is. A very pleasant representative said it was 18p/min with a 15p minimum charge. She also texted the info to me so I would have a note for future reference.

Now, the new charges for 0844 or 0871 are 35p/min. This is a 94% increase.

According to the T&C's:
    11(b) "we increase your charges in the UK which have the effect of increasing your total charges (based on your usage in the previous month) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies;"

This means if you are going to push the issue with them you will need to run up a few minutes of charges to an 0844 number during September and report the problem at the start of the next month.

How many minutes? Well, if you are on a £30/month contract then 20 minutes of calls at 18p/min would be £3.60. At 35p/min this would be £7 and (7-3.60)/33.60 = 10.1%. Hence, 20 minutes of calls if your bill is at £30/month will get you over the 10% threshold.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sorry - error in post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts