PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4

Comments

• mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone. We've arrived down south and I've just managed to get properly hooked up to the internet now, I think. It's a weak service here, apparently!

Jean, I really hope your DH recovers quickly but can't for the life of me think why he says it's your fault! I bet he's fed up having to stay in hospital. Tell him DH and I are thinking of him.

Mrs Moneypenny - that hat sounds intriguing!

Chalky - the mandalas are still in their package waiting to be posted off. I am now in the south of France and yesterday took a walk to the nearest post office to post your parcel and my Mum's birthday presents; well, the computerised scales there had broken and, no, they had no idea when they would be fixed - that's France for you and I wasn't in the least surprised! I got the shrug and was dismissed because the lady was too busy talking to someone on the phone to bother with me. I just know that in the UK they'd have found some old scales in the back somewhere, and given me the stamps. Anyway, I will give it until Friday to get their scales fixed and try again; otherwise, I will have the car (the one we hired) on Saturday and will look for another post office.

It seems France is determined to frustrate me. We have decided to book our car in for a diagnostic test to see if we can sort what seems like an electrical problem on it. Well, I can't find anyone who can do it less than two hours away, so that's another problem. Our lawnmower is still at the repairers and has been there since the 5th of July, with no idea of when it will be fixed, and my Internet bill has gone up by €16 this month, so I have to sort that out when we get back. I shall be redoubling my efforts to sell the house and get back to the UK asap! I know there are problems there but I can deal with them in English and with people who actually want to work! Rant over, but I just had to let off steam!

It is lovely here but the weather turned as soon as we got within an hour of my BIL's house, and today it is pouring with rain. The swimming pool looks inviting and DH has been in it, but I need a bit of sunshine to get me in! I've eaten far too much already, and drunk far too much wine, so I'm going to have to ease up a bit. I was hoping to go out for a walk later and do a bit of exploring but it really is belting down outside, so will have to wait for it to stop.

Anyway, DH is busy working in a really sweet little holiday home here. I went and had a look round it yesterday and it has a tiny little spiral staircase that takes you up a couple of floors and the view from the top is spectacular, although you wouldn't think so from the ground because it's in a residential area. He is working with his brother and they can't start until 9am and then have to stop for two hours at 12 because they can't make any noise during the lunch hour; I know they would rather take a packed lunch and work a full day!

Anyway, I've been asked to make a Victoria sponge; I made one and brought it down with me, and it went within five minutes. I put my cake box down when we got here and my nephew, Jake (he's nearly 16) asked me what sort of cake it was, so I lifted the lid and his face really lit up and he gave me the biggest hug! It really surprised me that he was so delighted with it, so I promised that I would keep him in cake while I'm here. He's at school now; they have very long summer holidays here but the school days are so long. He leaves at 7am to catch the bus and he doesn't get home until 7pm, which I think makes for a very long day for the students, but BIL says it's because the teachers only work part time, so the morning ones will do a shift, then there are no teachers at all during the two hour lunch break, then the afternoon ones come in and do their shift; it means the teachers get short working days but the students get long ones. I'm not sure that that would work in the UK!

I still didn't do the last update, Jean, but I will do it later and please don't worry about taking it over while I'm away - you have enough on your plate right now, and I've got my laptop here and the internet.

Will pop back later.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Morning all,bit quiet here. Everyone busy elsewhere obviously.

Kathy- hope the rain has stopped. Sods law that you are having a wee holiday and the weather doesn't oblige.

Jean- take time to breathe in between rushing around on hospital visits.

Mrs mp- how is the pollen hat coming along ?

Been a bit under the weather,nothing I can put my finger on and not serious enough to see the doctor, just not running on all cylinders.

Hugs to all who need them in trying times.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • morning all
    hope you are all well - hugs to all i think we needs them

pollen hat still in progress, all balls ae knitted, some are stuffed, ive found some green wool and started on the rib of a bobble hat now. i will post a posto once its done so you can see what it looks like
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 September 2014 at 10:52AM
    Thats a bit unfair Kathy, it raining on your holidays :(

Psso feel better soon hunny.

Mrs Mp I cant wait to see this hat, its sounds wonderful!

I have a house full of zips :D My 89 year old neighbour is moving to Las vegas to be with her lovely son so is clearing stuff out. She is a seamstress so has accumulated millions of zips and thinks I can find something to do with them. Obviously even if I live to 89 I will still have a lot left :rotfl: A friend on another thread sent me a link for cushions with bits and bobs on for demetia sufferers to fiddle with. I always remember by Mil used to roll the hem of her clothes - wish I had known about these cushions then. So if I can find my zipper foot I may well make some and donate them.

Well i must get on while the sun is still shining hugs to all
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2014 at 4:05PM
    Ginnyknit, lucky you with sunshine. We've had fog for three days now.
    DD took me to the big diy shed and we could hardly see 100 yards in front and idiots were driving with no lights on. No wonder accidents happen.

Well I finished the blue blanket in James C Brett Flutterby chunky. Lovely and soft, so have now cast on the pink one. Doing 10" grannies in the baby marble dk in between spells of knitting. Just to prevent boredom.

Think I'll have to have a look in some charity shops soon. I'm hoping to find some of those old fashioned lacy doylies to experiment with. Lots of ideas, just need the ' makings' now.

Off to do a few more rows before sorting out some food for DS.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • mioliere
    Forumite
    Hi everyone from a wet and windy south of France. The weather has been awful but at least we are safe; not too far from here, people have been losing their lives in the flooding. The schools have closed early so that those children in outlying areas could get home safely. More rain is forecast, and the wind is pretty strong. It is sod's law that it is happening while we are here, but I am just grateful to be safe, and not facing the problems that others have. My heart goes out to people who get flooded out; it must be devastating.

I've not done a lot apart from eating, drinking, and talking, while DH and his brother have been working, but we are just hoping for good weather so that we can get out and about over the weekend.

Jean - how is your DH? Still being objectionable? I hope he's doing as well as can be.

Elaine - hope you are feeling better today.

Ginnyknit - I had to laugh at the thought of you with all those zips!

Well, not much to report right now. I hope the weather is behaving itself for you all.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• lord kathy didnt realise the weather was that bad!! please stay safe.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mioliere
    Forumite
    Mrs Moneypenny - we are safe where we are, thanks; apparently, it's further up in the hills that they are having problems. Rivers are overflowing and things are looking pretty grim at the moment. My BIL can't ever remember it being like this and he's been here for seven years.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• quick update......DH is now resigned to taking a while at the getting better, he has had the body brace on all day yesterday and managed to stand to have two x rays done, he also asked to be allowed to use the toilet... only a matter of about 6 steps from the bed, so was assisted in and left to get on with it but told he had to pull the red cord when he needed to return to bed and not attempt it on his own, happy to say he took the advice! He moan yesterday was he is still lying flat on the bed all the time - wondering, when he will get to walk about or sit up etc.
    He really has to be patient - not a strong point of his but he will learn it over the coming months. I have asked if they will wash his hair today and they have said they will try if they get the time (seemingly Friday is a busy day).
    It really looks like he will be in over this coming weekend but I shall see what today brings, he could be up and sitting in the chair by the time I get in to visit, he is cheerful too which is wonderful shows he still has spirit.
    On the home front, I packed away all the garden furniture into the garage, leaving me just a bit of mowing and that's going to have to be it for this year I think. I have cleared out the downstairs bedroom, the hospital bed and a commode were delivered yesterday afternoon, so I washed, dried and ironed 3 sets of my Grannies single cotton sheets - I am so pleased I kept them, they are gorgeous and I know he will appreciate the effort, he might not mention it but I will know. I am trying to get as much done as I can prior to his return because I know time will be precious then. I awoke really early so have a cuppa and will now go and cuddle back in with my book see if I can get a longer lie in. Lots of love to you all. will pop back when I get some time.
    Jean
    x
    The Hooligan Wooligan – age 9¾
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    2xSIBOL butterflies -86x squares
  • roamin, massive and gentle hugs to you and your DH, i hope the recovery goes well and he managed to learn to rest and recuperate.

all pollen balls now sewn on the hat apart from the one that needs velcro and ive started knitting petals to go around the brim.

hope all are well
    SPC~12 ot 124

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure