Maternity Pay

My girlfriend was on Maternity leave from around April 16 to the New Year/Jan17, she spoke to an advisor from the HMRC who told her she could deduct £100 per week, he did the calculations and told her that the full amount to deduct was £2000 and he said he would do that yet upon receiving our updated Tax credit letter it does not have that amount deducted.
Also we are a little confused as to how he came up with £2000? My GF said she was on Full pay for 6 months before dropping to a low rate maternity pay for the last 3 months so wouldn't it just be the last 3 months (roughly £1200) or the full 9 months that she should be claiming for?

We called them earlier and the lady we spoke to was useless, she said so do you want me to deduct £2000 off the amount now? I said I want advice on if that is correct but she really didn't know and it was too late to call back. I'm a little concerned that they will say its too late to change yet my GF thought it had already been done.

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    You deduct £100 per week for each week on SMP up to a maximum of 39 weeks. So based on dates you've given it's like your partner should be deducting the maximum £3,900. This won't be done for you on the renewal, you must do this yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure