Query about housing and council tax allowance

Candy53
Candy53 Posts: 2,548
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
Forumite
edited 24 July 2017 at 12:48PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi everyone.

I hope you can help me as I can't find the answer anywhere, even with the council.

My husband retires soon. He is entitled to the full state pension, and they have let him know what he will get. I will be 60, and don't work. There will only be us living here. We live in an HA 3 bed semi. We have no savings and no other income.

He's entitled to guaranteed pension credits but won't know how much he'll get untill he's actually retired. This means though that he will get the full council tax allowance. He should also get full housing allowance.

Then a thought came to me. If the pension age had stayed at 60 I would have been a pensioner too, but what if, as far as the authorities are concerned, I will be classed as being still of working age, will my husband still get the full allowances, or not because of me?

Also, if you don't mind, my daughter heard that if a pensioner receives pension credits they won't have to pay the bedroom tax. Is this correct? Or could I affect that too?

Thanks,
Candy.
What goes around, comes around.

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,574
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I believe that when the household is made up of a pensioner and a non-pensioner, the benefit awards are in favour of the pensioner, so full help.

Pensioners are also exempt from the bedroom tax.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable can confirm or deny my statement.
  • Candy53
    Forumite
    Thanks alot. Good news then hopefully.

Candy
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    KxMx wrote: »
    I believe that when the household is made up of a pensioner and a non-pensioner, the benefit awards are in favour of the pensioner, so full help.

Pensioners are also exempt from the bedroom tax.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable can confirm or deny my statement.

Agreed!

The only thing that may be different from your expectations is whether your rent is paid fully. No bedroom tax but HB will be awarded according to your circumstances.

Follow the link and use the benefit calculator to see if all of your rent will be paid.

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit
  • Candy53
    Forumite
    Ok, thankyou.

Candy
  • Candy53
    Forumite
    Ah, understand it more now. Thanks for your replies because now I get it. So my husband will get everything.
    So, my question can be made different then.

Because I won't be a pensioner, could they make me pay rent and council tax, even though I haven't an income?

Candy
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Candy53 wrote: »
    Ah, understand it more now. Thanks for your replies because now I get it. So my husband will get everything.
    So, my question can be made different then.

Because I won't be a pensioner, could they make me pay rent and council tax, even though I haven't an income?

Candy

No. You will be added to your husband's pension credit claim. it doesn't matter that you are not of pension credit age. Only the claimant has to be of pension credit age.

But they will assess you as a couple so any savings/income that you have will be taken into account.
  • Candy53
    Forumite
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    No. You will be added to your husband's pension credit claim. it doesn't matter that you are not of pension credit age. Only the claimant has to be of pension credit age.

But they will assess you as a couple so any savings/income that you have will be taken into account.

Thanks alot for that, it's put my mind at rest now.

Candy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family