working/child Tax Credits, and C/B stopped

Comments

• heken123
    heken123 Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2017 at 1:20PM
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Darksparkle will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that level 4/5 qualification is not regarded as non advanced education.

When the OP's tax credits end then she will (it seems) be transferred to Universal Credit.

I am not sure why they advised the OP to work 30 hrs a week, Are they saying that if she did so then she could remain just on working tax credit if she met the income criteria rather than transfer to Universal Credit. OP, what are you paid per hr?

If this is correct then claiming PIP (if she was awarded it) would, I believe, allow her to claim working tax credits if she worked 16 hrs a week (Darksparkle?) and not have to claim Universal Credit.

The problem is what to do whilst waiting for the PIP claim to go through.

I suggest that you go to CAB for some help. They could do a pre assessment with you for PIP.

They could also advise you about whether you would have enough NI contributions to claim contribution based ESA (new style ESA) and then drop your hours to meet the conditions for permitted work.

Of course, if your son could work and help out financially then you might manage better. However, you may still be stuck with having to comply with Universal Credit claimant commitment for working more hours.

They have advised me to work 30 hours as he said something like the first £189 I earn from work is not counted then they take 63p off every £1 I earn over that, not entirely sure if I have them figures correct but approx. If I work 30 hours or over they let me keep everything I earn I think that's what he said.
    I'm paid £8.60 an hour I work in a school.
    I think they want everyone eventually on universal credits.
    thanks
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,010
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    so don't want to take out the student loan.
    It's not fair on him getting into debt

Needs must when the devil drives?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    So it's not just the £110 you have to support you and your son, you have that plus both of your wages and could choose to have a student loan.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Darksparkle will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that level 4/5 qualification is not regarded as non advanced education.

When the OP's tax credits end then she will (it seems) be transferred to Universal Credit.

I am not sure why they advised the OP to work 30 hrs a week, Are they saying that if she did so then she could remain just on working tax credit if she met the income criteria rather than transfer to Universal Credit. OP, what are you paid per hr?

If this is correct then claiming PIP (if she was awarded it) would, I believe, allow her to claim working tax credits if she worked 16 hrs a week (Darksparkle?) and not have to claim Universal Credit.

The problem is what to do whilst waiting for the PIP claim to go through.

I suggest that you go to CAB for some help. They could do a pre assessment with you for PIP.

They could also advise you about whether you would have enough NI contributions to claim contribution based ESA (new style ESA) and then drop your hours to meet the conditions for permitted work.

Of course, if your son could work and help out financially then you might manage better. However, you may still be stuck with having to comply with Universal Credit claimant commitment for working more hours.

I've deliberately not paid much attention to UC (I need to cut back how much I'm on here as it is!) so I'm not sure how the transfer to UC works I'm afraid.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,817
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    heken123 wrote: »
    thanks he already has one which is helping him with travel costs to college. He is not entitled to the travel costs he got last year as this course is seen as higher education.
    Neither of us like owing money so don't want to take out the student loan.
    It's not fair on him getting into debt
    Needs must sometimes, especially for that education.
  • heken123
    heken123 Posts: 29 Forumite
    So it's not just the £110 you have to support you and your son, you have that plus both of your wages and could choose to have a student loan.
    No I don't have £110 to support my son and me that's the reduction from tax credits and child benefit to universal credit. So I will be left with nothing after my rent and bills are paid.

I will not make my son get a student loan that's not fair on him.His pay is spent on travel, clothes etc. I will look into PIP and just have to work through the pain and do the extra hours.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I will not make my son get a student loan that's not fair on him.
    But it's fair on the thousands of other kids who have no choice? Why is it different for your son?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,944
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if a loan is alive to him, then he will be treated as if he has it, regardless of if he does or not.

you want benefits to mke up the shortfall to pay for his education rather than him paying for it himself?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,525
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I will not make my son get a student loan that's not fair on him.

I would not discount this totally. I was fortunate to get through 3 years study with no loans but to do this I worked full time as well as studying full time (worked shifts around classes and weekends) I had a mortgage to pay and child to support (child benefit only as before the days of tax credits)
    That is the problem with child related benefits, people get used to having them and budget accordingly but when the child is no longer a child they need to adjust
  • GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Thanks
    He's 18 I have rang tax credits already and they confirmed level 4/5 HNC/HND computer course is higher education and I will no longer be entitled to working/child tax credits and child benefit.

Level 4: 1st year of a Bachelor's Degree
    Level 5: 2nd year
    Level 6: 3rd year.

Time to bite the bullet and tell your son that he needs to do the same as thousands of other students in his situation, and get a p/t job to pay for his living cost at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure