Earnings Limit?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help. I run a small business and have recently started employing my son one day a week. Can anyone tell me what the limit is he can earn before he has to declare his earnings to HMRC? He is not on any benefits.

Thanks

Willow

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,815
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is he still in full time education? If so then there's no limit.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Something like £10,400 at the moment
  • Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

No he is not in full/part time education.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I believe (and stand to be corrected) you need to also offer a pension scheme.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    kebabuk wrote: »
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help. I run a small business and have recently started employing my son one day a week. Can anyone tell me what the limit is he can earn before he has to declare his earnings to HMRC? He is not on any benefits.

Thanks

Willow

Wrong question.:)

You are now an employer. You need to register with HMRC, and start operating PAYE. It is your responsibility to declare his earnings to HMRC.

https://www.gov.uk/register-employer
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Yes I agree. Young people working - especially this time of year - will probably end up on emergency tax codes, so paying too much tax. But in your son's case he shouldn't be liable to pay any income tax in April (given his personal allowance) and so should request a rebate from HMRC. He can do those over the 'phone or online by completing a form.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,645
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Is he still in full time education? If so then there's no limit.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but as far as I'm aware his educational position has no bearing on his tax status. As antrobus says, it's up to his employer to ensure that the correct amount of tax and NI is deducted from his wages and that he is offered the chance to enrol in a pension scheme if appropriate.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but as far as I'm aware his educational position has no bearing on his tax status. As antrobus says, it's up to his employer to ensure that the correct amount of tax and NI is deducted from his wages and that he is offered the chance to enrol in a pension scheme if appropriate.
    I think people get confused with Council tax - as students don't pay any
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,815
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I read the question wrong, sorry my mistake.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,302
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well Mum/ Dad - the really critical point here is if he's not claiming a benefit and isn't earning enough - how is he getting his NI credits?
    Missed years now will cost him when they start counting his contributions for his eligibility for any benefit or a state pension...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure