I’m taking control of my life, now.

Comments

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Lovely to see you back boxofpaws. Sorry to hear about your husband D's job worries. I hope things settle soon. X
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi Paws, thanks for popping over to my diary.

Already an avid subscriber. Welcome back x
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi BOP and welcome back.
    I know too well about leaving your diary for a while, I too have had lapses in mine. Life just gets in the way doesn't it. Keep going and try to keep posting I find that it does actually help.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    When will OH know what his role will be and his salary ?

Then you can get the budget sorted again.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    So sorry to hear of your woes with your husband's job but you seem to be in a reasonable place with it now and you sound like you have a good attitude towards preparing for what lies ahead!

I also fell victim to my CC 0% product coming to an end and not getting round to replacing it...oops! We only paid about £60 in interest but it's £60 I'd rather have in my own pocket/ off the balance. Never mind, it's all a learning curve, isn't it?

I've been made redundant twice in the last 10 years (both times company closed down) so I know the worry but back then I only had a flat to worry about - now I have two properties, two kids and debt so it would hit me much harder if it happened now!

Fingers crossed that everything is plain sailing going forward and your husband's salary doesn't take too much of a hit.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Yay Paws you're back! Glad to hear about OH's job - sometimes the fear of what might happen can be a very powerful tool on the MSE front - I had my income slashed by 2/3rds pretty much overnight and completely unexpectedly a few years back - it made us work out what our "bottom line" expenditure was and start working to it - which in turn meant we were able to continue OP'ing the mortgage.

Well done for finding a fiver in your drawers too ... :D:rotfl::p
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    i've just read all of your diary, as i seem to have found a couple whilst seeking some other advice and have been hooked.

well done on getting a good chunk off! its always intersting to see peoples before and current totals in signatures or theres percentages of such. from what i read, your a solid 25% off!
  • Lovely to see you BOP, and it sounds like you've made really positive steps in the face of the uncertainty with your DH's job. I hope you get the full facts soon and are able to work with your new budget.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sashybo wrote: »
    Hi paws, good to "see" you back & posting again.:j

Sorry to hear about your husband's job, it's so scary and so many companies seem to be doing something similar. My department at work is currently going through a consultation as the company want to cut people & replace them with computers/technology. :( Never mind the years of experience they want to discard that a computer can never replace. :mad: I have no idea what I'll be going back to next year as my job is one of the ones they want to scrap. :(

You sound like you're doing really well on the money & debt repayment front. :j :beer:

That's stressful for you. I know you are protected on mat leave but you don't need the uncertainty of not knowing what you'll walk back into. Mind, I suppose the big hungry baby will keep your mind off it:D
    Lovely to see you back boxofpaws. Sorry to hear about your husband D's job worries. I hope things settle soon. X

Hello Parsniphead, thank you. I'll be over to yours shortly
    Mummy_bear wrote: »
    Hi Paws, thanks for popping over to my diary.

Already an avid subscriber. Welcome back x

Thank you, sounds like we both have husbands who are difficult to tame:)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    motivated wrote: »
    Hi BOP and welcome back.
    I know too well about leaving your diary for a while, I too have had lapses in mine. Life just gets in the way doesn't it. Keep going and try to keep posting I find that it does actually help.
    M

So many times I wanted to post but I really was scared of jinxing the redundancy. I'm a weirdo, I know
    When will OH know what his role will be and his salary ?

Then you can get the budget sorted again.

We are getting trickles of info. Today we heard that redundancies are being halved, so 1 in 10 going instead of 1 in 5, so that's great news :):T
    JoJoC wrote: »
    So sorry to hear of your woes with your husband's job but you seem to be in a reasonable place with it now and you sound like you have a good attitude towards preparing for what lies ahead!

I also fell victim to my CC 0% product coming to an end and not getting round to replacing it...oops! We only paid about £60 in interest but it's £60 I'd rather have in my own pocket/ off the balance. Never mind, it's all a learning curve, isn't it?

I've been made redundant twice in the last 10 years (both times company closed down) so I know the worry but back then I only had a flat to worry about - now I have two properties, two kids and debt so it would hit me much harder if it happened now!

Fingers crossed that everything is plain sailing going forward and your husband's salary doesn't take too much of a hit.

I'm astonished how many people have been made redundant. How incredibly stressful for you. :(

Yes, really annoying about the interest. Especially considering the husband has to do 2 12 hour overtime shifts to earn that.

But at least we pay minimal interest overall, most the time I get it right. Well, that's what I tell the husband, anyway
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport